This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No WiFi

Hello,

I just bought a new 830 and when trying to setup WiFi all I see is this

On the other hand, my Fenix 5s can find 3 WiFis around me without any problem, I'm using the latest software 5.50 and I also tried factory reset. Is this a know issue or a faulty unit?

Thanks!

• Funny, a couple of days ago I tried again. It still did not find my network, but it did find two others. One of which I was able to connect to (it's my brother's, so I got the password). Now I'm back to having the same gibberish as in the screenshot.

BTW, I've tried every setting on my wifi (Channel, Bandwith, MAC-Filter, ecc.)

• Have exactly the same issue and pretty disapointed that this is not working. I'm quite a nono with adjusting routers etc and wonder how I get my 830 connected on my wifi. Has anyone seen a response from Garmin on this?

• New router, same problem... Tried all possible settings, still no luck in seeing the networks. BUT, now I can at least enter the SSID and password manualy and it connects just fine. So, at least this works now. But else, when searching for networks, still the same gibberish while our Garmin watches (FR645M & FR945) have no problem finding all networks around us.

• I’ve just bought a brand new Edge 830 with 7.10 software and faced exactly the same issue - question marks instead of true Wi-Fi names and inability to connect to my network, either from the networks list and manualny.

What I noticed first is that, this Edge from my experience, is the first device that requires you to enter the type of protection protocol (WPA or WPA2-PSK) when manually connecting to the wifi network. This is strange because how can we know what type of protection protocol is set on the network we are trying to connect to.

This leads me to enter my router settings and checking what type of protection protocol is set in my network.

Only one setting I’ve changed was the type of security protocol on 2.4 GHz network, from WPA/WPA2 to WPA2 only so that devices connecting to this network would have no choice but can use only one protocol.

Only after this change done I see the regular name of my network and others in which range I am.

And most importantly, I have connected without any problems.

(I have no idea how the settings of the closest network can influence displayed names of any other in the area - even if you are not yet connected to it).

• I can confirm that this fixes the problem, thank you.

My Edge 830 worked just fine, but then my internet provider "upgraded" firmware on my router/AP and the router reverted back to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK combination, which broke everything. Edge suddenly wasn't able to connect.

Sometimes Edge wouldn't show any networks at all (although there are plenty of networks around), sometimes it would show gibberish just like in the photo. First i thought that the wifi module of the device simply gave up - but the results were not consistent. After much tinkering I've found this thread and your answer helped me to fix this problem.

This simply means that Garmin has some problems with the firmware of this device. Imagine your neighbor setting up completely fine and unrelated wireless network with WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK security combination and it will prevent your device from working correctly. Having such router in near vicinity of the device completely prevents it from listing wireless networks or connecting to any of these.

• Same problem with unity media / Vodafone Connect box here

• Thanks a lot....Díky moc. Měl jsem brouka a po takové době objevil tohle vlákno. Přesně jak píšeš, update firmware. Bývále UPC, nyní Vodafone.

• You are welcome. Yes, it's same - this is also ex-UPC Vodafone box.

• Hi, I'm having the same issue only I have checked my router is set to WPA2 only and it does not fix the issue. Are there any other suggestions?

• I had the very same problem.

In my case i was able solved the problem by changing the security option for encryption from "WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK" to "WPA2-PSK".

I also testes and played around with the 802.11 settings. At the moment i configured the Vodafone router with 802.11 g/n/b settings and mentioned WPA2-PSK settings.

You can also try to create a local hot spot on your smartphone and play around with the settings.

With no encryption and no password the Edge 830 should work so you can test if the problem is caused by the wifi settings or by the device itself. 

Regards,

Tobi