This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 830 Sensor dropout after ride pause

Been having this issue for the last 2 months. When I pause a ride and then resume the ride,  all 3 sensors (Heartrate, Speed and Cadence) do not start again. They seem to still be paired but there are no readings on the screen, the fields are blank. The only way to get them working is too stop the ride, power down the unit, power back up and start a new ride. The 830 unit always finds the sensors, I just loose them when I pause the ride. Just to add....this happens about 50% of the time so its a random occurrence. Ive had an incident report open with Garmin for 4 weeks and have not heard a thing. Anyone have a similar issue or can recommend something that might help? I'm running the latest version of the firmware.

• Same to me!! I'm now trying to put all the sensors working with ANT+. Next workout I will say something

• Dealt with this issue for a couple of months as well. No real rhyme or reason as to when it would happen/how long the pause had to be. The only way to re-pair everything was to long-press the power button to reset it and when it woke up it would find everything again and continue along.. Never got an answer to several tickets submitted.. 

• Interesting, when you reset with the long press of the power button did it continue your ride or reset/restart it?

• When I reset in that manner it always wakes up continuing to record my ride.. for what it's worth the unit is not paused when I do that

• Still no resolution Now Garmin wants me to do this and debugg their software/firmware for them:

Please perform these steps and then provide another copy of  your Garmin folder (once we receive the data it will be added to your case):

In some cases it may be necessary to collect ANT logs from an Edge device for a PSC: 

1. Start an activity on your Edge

2. Tap the screen. This will open an overlay page

3. Press and hold the right arrow at the bottom of the overlay page for 5 seconds

4. Select Diagnostics > ANT Logging > ANT RX TX

5. Go for another ride with the same sensors and phone

6. Save the ride when you are done
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

Hello,

I have Edge 830 now for 3 weeks and this thing is happening to me way to often. Every time I pause the activity, I fear my sensors(HR, speed and cadence sensor) won't be reconnected. If it happens, I save the activity and restart the device. Then the sensors are again detected. The firmware version is 5.5. I have no idea why this is happening, but it is very annoying.

• I have a 530 and same thing. If I pause for short time it is not an issue; however if it is a long enough pause that the display goes to sleep, that is when lose the connection. I end up starting a new ride and one ride becomes two. How do you restart and allow to continue?

• No, I just gave up and stopped using the ride pause function. My times are not as good on Strava, but I dont have the hassle of loosing all sensors and having to restart the ride. BTW Live Track and Incident reporting are also very unreliable for me, so I don't use those functions either.

• Can't promise this will work for you but I used to have a lot of sensor dropout where all BT sensors (HR Belt, Garmin PowerMeter pedals) would all disconnect at the same time, and unit freeze issue right after I got my Edge 830, I tried a number of things until I read someone talking about the phone BT connection, I tried to disable bluetooth on the phone while I ride and never got a freeze again (I still occasionally get sensor to drop but it is one at a time).

Again, I can't say for sure this is the issue but for me, that appears to do the trick so you may want to give this a try. Of course, it means that the functions that rely on the phone (incident/crash detection, etc...) are not available so I end up with a product that only does part of what I paid for but I chose the sure think where I know my unit won't let me down through a ride.