This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I've downloaded the latest Map upgrade and the map is now really poor and not as good as the original preloaded map

I am in England (so assume it came preloaded with European Map) and the original map I used had all the streets on and great detail and now I have a very basic map which is frustrating.

Can someone please advise how I get back to the original map with superior definition and navigation turn by turn functions.

I have tried the different combinations on the map information screen of enabling and disabling certain maps but can't seem to get back to the original preloaded map. I've tried resetting the Garmin and the same new rubbish map appears.

Any help would be appreciated to explain what IMG files I need on the hard drive and what maps I should therefore enable and disable on the edge 830 to get me great views.

I'm not interested in downloading any OSM maps which is a common response as happy with the original maps it came with.

Lee

• Check under Activity Profile / Navigation / Map / MapInfo and make sure all the 2020.10 maps are enabled.

• Thanks, I have done that and still not back to the original detailed street views. The maps available to me on Map Info are: INTL Standard Basemap, NR - Garmin Cycle Map EU, North East 2020.10 - Garmin DEM Map EU 2017.20 - Garmin Geocode Map EU 2020.10. I have tried all different combinations of enabling and disabling and still can't recreate the original and best maps? Not sure what other options I have to fix or delete and restore?

• You are missing Garmin Cycle Map EU, South West 2020.10. Re-install the maps using the latest version 7.0.1.0 (Windows) of Garmin Express. Missing the South West part of the Cycle Map has been a known issue, but should be solved now.

• I have a Mac and Garmin Express shows my maps are up to date but the South West map has not downloaded on to the Garmin? On the Garmin drive the IMG files I have are: gmapbmap.img, gmapdem.img, gmapgc.img, gmapprom.img, gmapprom2.img, gmaptz.img. So not sure if I need to delete an img file or how I get the South West map on the Garmin?

• You may again try to re-install the maps, but following a different procedure.

First make a backup of the mapfiles gc and both prom's. Then delete those from the device. Leave bmap, dem and tz on the device because - at least the first two - will not be restored with a map re-install.

Then re-install maps using Garmin Express (latest version!). Try & test - hopefully success...

If this fails on the MAC, delete again the mapfiles gc and both prom's (if present) and then repeat the re-install on a Windows 10 PC with the latest version GE (7.0.1.0) installed.

If this still does not work, restore the saved map files from your backup, ask for further help here or @Garmin.

Do not use Basecamp to install maps on your device.

• Thanks for the help, I've reinstalled Garmin Express to get the current version as it kept crashing on updates and then reinstalled the maps and the south west. map has downloaded and back to normal. Really appreciate the help especially bikepc01 as never would have sorted without you.