This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Downgrade firmware

Hi,

I have just installed firmware 5.50 and would like to go back to 5.10. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Am I likely to lose information from the device etc?

The reason I want to do this is that even when connecting to Express not all information is transferred. My device has always had a problem with transfer via wifi, but at least 5.10 would transfer all information with Express. Garmin told me back in November that they were working on a fix for the failure of wifi to transfer all information, then they release a new version which transfers less than the original version which came with the Edge in June last year. Of the 3 promised fixes they made to me last year only one, the on-device routing, has improved. This is somewhat frustrating.

• I was hoping for a response from someone on the forum. I contacted Garmin over a week ago, and they have not bothered to reply, so the forum looks like my only chance of getting a solution..

• Follow the link to the Beta installation at the top of the forum, where you will find the link to the installation instructions.  Check step 4.

• Garmin's official response in my experience has and always will be "There is no way to revert back to old firmware".. the only exception to this in my experience is when you're on a beta. If you update to a fully release FW I don't think there's any way to go back unfortunately. Perhaps I'm wrong.. maybe someone tech-ier can help 

• Though I'm not sure what you mean by "not all information is transferred".  My data uploads to Garmin Connect via WiFi without problems -- I almost never connect via cable to Express on my Mac.  I'm running 5.50 which fixes some things that were broken in 5.10.

• I also still waiting  for an anwser/reaction of Garmin NL... 

I didn't expect this ... is a downer

• All you have to do is open a chat on the Garmin site.. takes a few minutes? They've always been very responsive to me although rarely have an actual answer

• You can install older firmware! Older versions can be found here: http://gawisp.com/perry/edge/ Look for the file containing the version you want to install, rename it to GUPDATE.GCD and copy it to the folder ..\Garmin on the device. Detach the device in a clean way ('Safely remove hardware'), and install will start when the device has rebooted. If not, try the install manually: Menu / System / About / Software Update (this is from the Edge Explore, so maybe not present on the 830 or in a different place in the menu). Be aware that all your personal settings are lost and have to be re-entered if you downgrade to an older firmware version.

• You can save and reinstate all your personal settings too.  You need to save the relevant files before you down rev the firmware, then copy them back to the edge.  I've done it successfully many times.  Garmin says how:

Saving settings for before reset

Folder Name

Contains

Copy  contents of this folder to new unit folder:

Activities

Activities

Activities

Apps

Connect IQ apps

Copy prg files to Apps

Courses

Courses

NewFiles

HMD

Screen layouts for HMD

NewFiles

Locations

Saved locations

NewFiles

Records

Personal records

NewFiles

Segment_List

Leader board selection for segments

NewFiles

Segments

Segments

NewFiles

Settings

User profile and sensor pairings

NewFiles

Sports

Screen layouts

NewFiles

Summary

Activity summary from other devices

NewFiles

Totals

Activity totals

NewFiles

Workouts

Workouts

NewFiles

Multisport (Watches only)

Multisport settings

NewFiles

• @looigi: have you tested that with recent fw version? I mean have got ALL back after restoring? It didn't work for me with Totals. It would be good to know that it works again.

• No.  I have not tested it with the most recent version.  I save courses and activities elsewhere, so the main thing I'm concerned about is my screen layouts, which is in Sports.  I do copy over Courses, Records, and Totals too.  Those things have worked in the past when I've down-reved.