This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 830 Public Beta 5.51 Now Available

A new Beta software (5.51) for the Edge 830 has been released. Full change log, instructions, and software for installing the beta can be found Here.

• For any issues that you encounter please fill out the form included in the download and attach it to an email to [email protected]. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.
  • Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

(Note: Please include a copy of your debugging folder in your response email if you experience any issues)

Changes made from version 5.50 to 5.51:

• Added diagnostics to monitor field performance.
  • Today i have a shutdown/restart with this version

• Still I can not change the fields into MapDashBoard with Garmin Express/connect IQ

Also with other devices there are some issues with ConnectIQ and Express in this days so are  not device related but probably servers related. 

So... I think you have to wait. 

• I’ve had two instances where on 5.50 the unit just randomly restarts. I guess I’ll throw 5.51 on

• Not exactly a reply to this post, but to https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-830/166997/new-edge-830-frozen-locked-up-v3-50/1083580#1083580 , where Garmin posted and immediately locked the thread.

That post may have a clue to what they are field testing here.  The issue there involved system lockups, and the post says they are "trying to collect data on this very issue".

The lockup issue (and a possibly unrelated power drain issue) went away for me when I went from the factory 5.1 firmware to beta 5.28.  A later 5.xx beta was also good and so far the 5.5 release, which installed automatically, has been good, but it has only been a couple of days.  I'm a moderately frequent beta tester, but for now I'm in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mode, so I won't install this one.

• Hi, do you know if the v. 5.51 will fix the problem of « light control » if the varia rtl515? I can’t control my varia with my 830. Thanks!

• Three things:

1. The release notes (at the top of this page) imply there are no functional changes between 5.50 and 5.51, so if you have 5.50 then 5.51 probably won't "fix" anything new.
    2. Your problem is probably the way you have paired your Varia; I had mine paired as a Radar, but after I deleted the sensor and added it as a Light Network (I forget the exact steps) it worked great.
    3. You haven't really said what your problem is with any detail. I suggest you search the cycling forums (not just 830) to see if others have had problems with Varia 515, and then post in a separate thread (maybe on Varia forum) with more details to see what others might have to say
  • Has there been any progress made?  This beta has been out a month and I've still seen people report issues with crashing and freezing and no updates from Garmin.

• Weird stuff in Garmin Express showing as 5.0 (previous version numbers were also wrong but the old version 5.50 showed as either 5.1 or 5.2, be nice to get it right! )

Also showing loads of updates on main screen but nothing when you actually go to the unit. Seems you have broken something else.

• I think they are working on major enhancements to bring some features from 1030 plus to 830. I read in DCRainmaker that few features will be coming our way from 1030 plus. I am using 5.51 for a while and so far, i saw only one drop in sensors and everything else works great. 

• The major improvements in the 1030 plus are hardwear, chipset screen memory to bring it into line with the 830. 

Garmin would be better of fixing the various firmware problems that exist now before adding new features that inevitably break more stuff. 

We can but hope Grinning