This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Lost Satellites - 830. That seems to be all this thing is good at.

Bought an 830 Edge today and it'll occasionally acquire satellite and location, but 98% of the time it says Lost Satellite Reception or has a small notice at the top of the screen that it lost satellites. I even walked around the yard, restarted it, reset and set up settings again. Anyone love their 830? Wondering if I give this thing a chance or just return it. It doesn't know where it is so I have zero trust it'll keep me from getting lost. So far, it's really terrible. 

• There's a whole thread with people complaining about this issue here: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-830/170423/edge-830-satellites-lost. So far, Garmin isn't responding to any of our questions.

• Have you tried different GPS options? Some parts of the world work well with Galileo, others don't. Sometimes you'll need to use plain GPS to hold a GPS lock.

• I m going to return mine today... probably i get a other one but will test before I leave the store 

• If you’re using GPS + Galileo or GPS + Glonass, change it to GPS only. 

I have an 830 and prior to that I had a 530 (now donated to my partner). I never had the issue on the 530, but I always had it on GPS only mode. When I moved to the 830 I had the same issue you describe. It even lost massive chunks of my ride data. 

I checked my 830 and it came out of the box set to use GPS + Glonass. I changed it to GPS only mode, as I’d always used on my 530, and it worked perfectly. It has done ever since. 

If I sit at the main menu, I get the odd satellite lost message now and then, but if I select a riding profile that’s set to GPS only and enter that mode, I don’t get the message at all and it works perfectly. This is the case on both the 530 and 830 units that I have. Bought a year apart at least and from different suppliers. 

I believe from my experience that there’s an issue with using dual satellite modes. And if you search the forum you’ll see others with this issue too. Putting it in single satellite mode, GPS only, fixes this. 

I’m happier with single mode anyway. Less battery usage and I’ve always stuck with that option on all my Garmin devices. 

Let me know if that fixes it..?

• In my case the device had a problem and is replaced by a new one and till now it workes fine. 

I ve also a Vivoactive HR and never have problems with gps+glosnass. Option is there so it must work...otherwise Garmin should delete the possibility to use it

• I suspect the vivoactive may have a different GPS chip or antennae. 

I suggested turning off the extra navigation systems as a workaround, not a fix. I’m sure Garmin will sort it at some point. 

Also consider than using two = more battery drain. And some areas have better coverage than others with different types of satellite. So dual systems can sometimes have a negative impact on your track when training depend on what area you’re in. 

• OK - even I'm having this problem as well today.

• I have this problem too, and I exchanged my device for a new one, and it STILL does the same thing.  I don't get a "lost satellites" message (or maybe I do and I just don't see it in time), but every 5th or 6th ride, without fail, the garmin just goes into "Pause" and locks that way.  It's INFURIATING.