This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What is the status on having Garmin page control with SRAM AXS?

There is still no control of Edge pages via AXS buttons and it has been more than a year since I started using it. I don't know if this is a Garmin or a SRAM issue but since the Edge will show AXS gears and battery it seems more like Garmin software, especially since this option for Di2 is done inside the Edge menu. I assume though there needs to be some corroboration with SRAM. When AXS was released the initial reviews said this ability was planned. 

The ability to move through pages with my Di2 bike is invaluable; or go directly to the map with a double click. This is even more critical on a gravel bike where the roads are too rough to remove a hand, and I typically wear long finger gloves so swiping though pages reliably is almost impossible on the 830.  I'm building a new AXS Force/XX1 mullet gravel bike but I'm going to really regret not using GRX Di2 if there is no forthcoming page control in 2020. 

Any movement on this software addition? 

• So where are the buttons on an AXS system or are you talking about the use of blip controller?.

Currently SRAM sends no control data so there is nothing for the Edge to respond to.

• I'm curious where you saw this:

initial reviews said this ability was planned

I have been avidly following coverage of AXS since it was rumored last year, but I don't recall ever hearing this.  And I can't find any mention of this despite extensive searching.

I'll reiterate the question by  : what physical button would you use to control the page navigation?  I suppose some AXS software update might be able to re-purpose the blips, but it's hard to say whether the platform even supports this.  I believe the RD is communicating with the shifters, and that's (probably) where the ANT gear-selection feed to the head-unit originates, so page control would have to piggy-back on the shifter communication to the RD and then be retransmitted.   I think the shifter->RD communication is not ANT but proprietary.  

I suspect another significant issue is that the protocol used by Di2 to control head-units is also proprietary, so-called "ANT private".  While Shimano and Garmin are both huge companies and can throw money at these one-off integrations, smaller companies like SRAM only want to implement to open standards.  If the head-unit manufacturers could get together (along with the component vendors) and develop a standard for page navigation (like the gear-selection ANT standard) then all this stuff would be interoperable and it would be much more interesting for the smaller vendors (like Campy, SRAM, Wahoo, Hammerhead, etc).

I admit that having page control of my 830 from my AXS would be cool, but I also think that -- unless you are Chris Froome -- you should spend less time looking at your stem and more time looking where you are going. Wink

• The ANT+ Shifting spec does not support the button control that Shimano uses. That was done by the use of a private ANT message.

Campy did implement a button feature on their EPS system by implementing both the ANT+ Shifting spec and I think the same specification used by the Edge Remote. I would need to dig that information up, but you can change pages on the Edge using the Campy electronic shifting system.

SRAM could do the same. The bigger issue is where are the buttons to do this?

• There are no extra buttons on AXS shifters. It would need to use a blip plugged into the shifter but obviously Srams protocol doesn’t support it yet. 

• If you need an extra device to do it you might as well just buy the Edge Remote as that works today.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/146078

• I've just purchased an AXS red bike and coming from Di2 ecosystem I'm finding the absence of top of shifter buttons to control my Edge 830 a significant step backwards. I tried putting the edge remote onto my bars, but it's clunky and not ergonomic relative to the intuitive control via top of shifter on di2. 

I'd  go as far as to suggest that blips or multiclics, despite the cost and installation overhead for a road bike, could perform admirably for Garmin control. For AXS 1x users, it would also be possible to use a simultaneous press of both paddles to page Garmin screens.

SRAM, please open up transmission via (Private ANT+)? to Garmin. 

CC Facebook SRAM AXS Owners Group

• I believe it is Garmin that would have to open up their proprietary "ANT+" protocol so that people could develop against it.  And then SRAM would have to do a lot of work to extend and test all the firmware and apps.   And then do all that again for Wahoo, Karoo, whatever.

If the head-unit manufacturers could agree on a spec for navigation via ANT+ then this would be easier for component manufacturers to implement.  

Or Garmin could come up with a less clunky remote -- it would be hard to make it *more* clunky.

• SRAM could do it using the remote control protocol. No need to change the existing Shifting spec. This is what Campy did with their EPS system. 

• I know it was a long time since I wrote this post, but I didn't revisit with a follow-up post. 

Here are some answers to people. 
    It was DC Rainmaker that stated Garmin control was coming in one of his early AXS reviews. I have no idea if this statement has since been revised in the review. 

As for what buttons would you use - As stated by others it would be Blips obviously since the ports are built into Force and Red. 
    Lets also not forget that Blips are easily cut and spliced so tiny under-hood buttons are not a problem for savvy users. Of course Sram would have to market this strictly by normal Blip installation and use. The change would be on the AXS app for Blip use, just like it is done now to control derailleur direction or the dropper post.  

I retain my initial assertion that the lack of Garmin control is a serious deficiency in AXS. To back up this statement, I own a bike shop and I've done 13 custom bike builds with electronic shifting since the release of eTap. I present the customer with the two options of Di2 and eTap, going over all the features. When I describe the Garmin/Wahoo/computer control of Di2 - all 13 people have chosen Di2.  
    Sram should be listening to that!

• I'm looking at purchasing a new bike. The company doesn't offer Shimano Di2, only SRAM AXS. I had a flash thought of "I'm sure it works, but I better verify that SRAM AXS will enable changing screens and starting new Laps via buttons like Di2 does." That is how I found this thread. I am now thinking I will have to buy a different bike because Laps and screen control are very important to me. I'd live to buy from an American company, but they need to offer the same (or better) features. I would very much welcome an update that says "oh, they fixed that, it's available now". Otherwise, I'm switching gears and shopping only for bikes with Shimano Di2 / GRX.