This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bridleways and footpaths

I have started cycling off-road in the English countryside in the past few weeks and am beginning to suspect that my Edge does not know the difference between a bridleway (where it’s lawful to cycle) and a footpath (where it isn’t). This such a basic distinction for a cyclist that I assume (and sincerely hope) that I am making some error in the settings.

Please tell me Garmin hasn’t released a cycling navigation product (or even whole range of them) which carefully plots routes it is illegal to cycle on?

• Thanks again - I might try creating my own maps and colour schemes then. Re-reading your instructions above I'm encouraged to have a go - I'm a Mac user though, will those sites/tools you mention eg mkgmap work on Mac?

I'd also somehow missed TOPO pro maps...but as you say they are expensive, and having paid once for all of GB Ordnance Survey (albeit on the SD Card I can't now use with the 830) I don't really want to pay again, especially if it is locked to the 830. Surely there should be some accommodation for when people naturally upgrade devices? I'm going to ask Garmin/Ordnance Survey, i don't expect much but I'm going to try!

• As Wongataa says you can buy the download version of the OS maps from Garmin. They are expensive and you will need to remove some of the other maps on the device to make room for them. This is the solution I have adopted. You'll already be familiar with the problems: the maps are occasionally difficult to read as they are so busy on such a small screen; zooming in produces a fuzzy image; they give a visual indication of the difference between bridleways and footpaths (if your eyesight is good) but any routing made on the device itself ignores the distinction; labels and text rotate with the orientation of the device and are all but unreadable. I have also been concerned about the stability of the device when using the maps - prone to random resets and crashes, presumably because of the size of the graphic. They might be better on a larger device like the 1030 but as stated they can't be transferred once installed. All in all it is a poor solution to a problem that really should be addressed by Garmin.

• mkgmap and splitter are Java programmes so cross platform.  OSM Filter appears to have a Mac option.  OSM Convert is Windows and Linux only.  Typwiz that I used for creating custom line/area styles to put in my custom typ file is Windows only but you can create custom line styles etc with a text editor.

Most OSM processing software seems to be Linux based with some Windows options.

• Do you know the OpenFietsMap (OFM)? http://www.openfietsmap.nl/

It distinguishes cycleways, footpath and bridleways very clearly. There are maps covering Benelux, Germany, Alps, etc., and also a Europe version is available. For the Mac you need the gmap version.

• I think this is the Open Cycle Map, which I understand from Wongataa is a subset of the OSM maps. I already use Ordnance Survey maps online to create routes. The Viewranger app algorithm correctly sees the difference between bridleways and footpaths when routing for various purposes (car, foot, cycle etc). Routes can be downloaded to the Garmin fairly easily, so this is not the problem.

The issue is routing on the unit itself and in Garmin Connect. When the unit reroutes you during a journey or when using the back to start functions, or any other routing method on the unit except pure road, it will frequently choose unlawful footpaths. Wongataa's method of customising a map clearly works well for him but I am not convinced the quality of the OSM data is sufficiently robust. From an admittedly cursory look, many footpaths near me are incorrectly labelled as tracks or bridleways and vice versa. The volume of mislabelled routes makes the manual creation of a suitable map impracticable. I accept that I haven't looked into this in great detail and my first impressions, which were enough to put me off, may be incorrect. I understand the Garmin cycles maps are derived from the OSM maps and perhaps the inconsistency of the data is what prevents Garmin remedying this defect in its cycle maps.

• From an admittedly cursory look, many footpaths near me are incorrectly labelled as tracks or bridleways and vice versa

Slowly fix any errors you find.  You don't have to do it all at once.  Come across a mislabelled path while out and about.  When you get home fix it.  Over time the map quality will improve for everyone, including Garmin.

When you fix some errors then you can re generate a custom map form the OSM data and it will be better than the last one you made.

If people don't fix errors they find then the OSM map data won't improve.

• I understand the Garmin cycles maps are derived from the OSM maps and perhaps the inconsistency of the data is what prevents Garmin remedying this defect in its cycle maps.

Note that what one can assume is allowed or disallowed depends on the location. In the US, bridleways (paths exclusive to use by horse riders) are rare.