This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using the route nav for the first time - constantly beeping and popping up a waypoint?

Hi all :-)

This is my second time using this Nav option, and I've had almost the same experience both times. Hoping there is something I've done wrong and this isn't standard and I should have stuck to my Lezyne XL!!

What I've done both times is create a route via the Garmin website on my PC. Nothing fancy, about 10 or so waypoints for a 40km trip. I've noticed that the path has moved itself to the wrong side of the road sometimes so I've dragged the route to the correct side - apart from that save and synced and sent to Nav.

BUT.... first time using, every 5 seconds or so it pops up that i'm approaching a waypoint in about 40m, counts down to 0m - then flickers the display then does the same thing again? After 5 mins I turned it off, and thought "hmm maybe a problem with the map" and left it at that.

second time (this morning), i'd put in a different route - this time so far so good it led me away (although popping up "1m from track" a few times? Also not popping up turn by turn - but I haven't researched that on here yet) - but then about 3km into it, the same thing started again!?! I recorded a video of it to better explain...

Click here to play this video

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gav

• I have had the route creator tool on the Garmin website be inconsistent about which side of the road it uses (with roundabouts).  I fixed that by using better route creation sites.

What navigation settings are you using on your device?

• Ah ok, thanks - I still managed to manually correct them before loading but a little hassle. biggest one is this map problem though. I've just read a possible similar issue and that's my next check - if you use OSM maps in the 830 apparently you should disable the Garmin basemap as it may cause conflict. Will try that one and see how I go! Also, in the settings I am set to auto popup the map, not just text popup for next point - possibly changing that will help (but would still beep every few seconds). Will keep you posted!

• Yes, if you use 3rd party maps you should disable the Garmin regional maps if there is any overlap or it will cause confusion.  The basemap being on shouldn't cause any problems as it doesn't have any routing in it.  No harm in disabling it though.

Have you got course points turned on or off?

• Provide a link to the course. 

• No need - situation under control :-) it was indeed the base maps being enabled while using OSM. Thank you both for your input and assistance! A little strange that my searches didn’t pick up anything concrete before I posted - but oh well it’s a good one to know! Plotted a 2km course and it pretty well worked perfectly :-) the only hiccup now is that when turning into a road that has a slip lane it won’t say ““Turn Left into xxxx street”, it will have ““Turn Left into prominent street”. Once in the slip lane it will then have “Turn Left into xxx street”...they one is most likely Garmin, will do the same route with Strava and with ridewithgps and see which is better!

• "base maps being enabled"

The basemap is a particular thing in the Garmin world (it's a world map without much detail that isn't used for navigation).

The only map that needs to be disabled is the "Garmin Cycle" one (it's not the basemap).

You can leave the DEM (elevation) and the Geocode (addresses) enabled since these aren't used for navigation. (The Geocode map is used to find a point from an address.)

=======================================

" it will have ““Turn Left into prominent street”. Once in the slip lane it will then have “Turn Left into xxx street”...they one is most likely Garmin, will do the same route with Strava and with ridewithgps and see which is better!"

The issue here is that the short "slip lane" segment looks like a separate road to the routing software on the device.

It doesn't matter what route planner you use.

All of them produce a track (a list of points showing the turns and curves of your path).

The device "walks" the loaded track and picks the roads it appears to be following. The device then creates the "turn guidance" turns from the list of roads. (This is what is being done during the "Calculating %" phase.)

There's no extra information in the file (it's just points).

Ideally, the map used to create the track should be the same as installed on the map. The devices handle differences pretty well but you can get odd results once in a while when using different maps.