This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge and speed sensor, Speed is jumping

Hi!

Im using the Edge with latest beta. Today I saw the speed dropping. It dropped from about 25km/h down to maybe 8 just to jump back up.
Can someone check the .fit file wich is attached? Was it jumping from GPS speed to Sensor speed?
In Connect, everything looks plausible. But while I rode it was a problem.

4711127298.fit.zip

• I have the same problem, it is very annoying. Never seen this on the older Edge 810 with same speed sensor.

• I'm having the same problem with my 830. Did you ever find an answer?

• My solution is an old speed sensor (https://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-cadence-sensor-gsc-10), No problem since then.

Garmin Speed sensor 2 seems to be a crap for Edge 830.

• ANT+ devices transmit in the 2.4GHz band - (unfortunately) like many other devices. Interference is therefore not uncommon. I have a Garmin Speed Sensor 2 that suffers from interference (i.e. Edge 830 drops speed and even pauses) when I pass by particular places - where apparently some other equipment is transmitting: an underground parking of a big football stadium, a bridge over a highway with plenty of electronic traffic signs & cameras nearby. The Speed Sensor 2could also be more susceptible to interference than the GSC10 (that I used to have, and I don't recall having seen such drops on that sensor).

Can you check if these drops happen again when you pass by the same place? Or did it happen far away from buildings/railways/highways?

• I will pay more attention to when my speed is acting up. May just start using gps speed only. We will see. I have a speedo on my motor controller too.

• IDK if this is pertinent, but I always put the speed sensor on my front hub.

• I ride a recumbent trike and I put it on the rear wheel for winter riding on rollers but I think I will move it to the front. Then it is only about 1 foot from the 830.

• I know this is 2 years old but I am having this problem and it seems to be only when I am on cement paved roads. When on a black top it doesn't do this.  Could it be because of the rebar that is in the cement?  I did take the sensor off and removed it from my 830 and all was good with only using the GPS. But I paid for the sensor and I would like for it to work.

• The speed sensor does use a magnetometer so maybe rebar could affect it.

• The speed sensor reads it's orientation in Earth's magnetic field to count rotations (or something like that), so any stray magnetic field will interfere with this. I had to move my sensor from the rear wheel to the front because apparently my chains are partly magnetized. There are still certain bridges that *always* cause a pause/restart when I travel over them. It must be due to the construction materials...

My on road bike I still use the GSC10 sensor which reads a spoke magnet. It's far more reliable. Last year I changed the battery out for the first time in probably ten years and well over 100k miles!