This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hailstones cracked my screen today

I went for a ride today and got caught in a brief hailstorm.

When I returned home, I discovered my screen had a crack in it (near the light sensor at the top), plus tiny scratches on the rest of the screen.

Near the bottom area, around the Garmin logo they seem slightly worse.

I'm not sure if the glass over the main display area is more toughened than the top and bottom.

Is it worth contacting Garmin UK to ask about a warranty replacement or would it be a waste of time?

If it is, would they just send me a refurbed unit and not a new one?

I bought the unit in Jan 2020.

The raised black area is a rubber case.

Thanks Slight smile

Top Replies

All Replies

• Is it worth contacting Garmin UK

What's the worst that could happen? They say no? They might offer replacement, discount on a new device, or a repair option. Go for it. Thumbsup

• Agreed. I'll contact them.

Thanks.

• I contacted Garmin, this is their reply (after I sent them a video of the hailstorm):

"I have looked into this further for you and I am afraid we cannot cover this under warranty as this is outside of our intended use case although what we are happy to do in this case is to provide you with a 50% discount on the out of warranty cost as a good will gesture,

The out of warranty cost for the edge 830 would be £120.94 although as we are providing a 50% discount on that the price we would ask you to pay would be £60.47.

If you do have this kind of weather in future then we would suggest to protect the edge by putting it in your back pocket or somewhere where the device is not going to get damaged by hailstones".

What a F'ing joke. A cycle computer that isn't properly designed to be used outside.

• What a F'ing joke. A cycle computer that isn't properly designed to be used outside.

Come on. They gave you a quite good offer. And all you do is complaining. Who rides in hailstorms? I know - you. Stupid.

• Well guess what FW. It was sunny/fine when I started and finished the ride.

The hailstorm lasted about 5 minutes and it wasn't forecast.

I don't even go out riding when it's raining, I wait until its stopped.

• "What a F'ing joke. A cycle computer that isn't properly designed to be used outside."

Not a reasonable expectation.

Lots of things "properly designed to be used outside" get damaged by hailstones.

You should probably sell the 830 and buy a unit guaranteed to hailstone proof.

• Totally agree, hail damage is not a manufacturing defect or design fault. That's why you need car insurance not warranty if your car gets damaged in a hailstorm or an accident.

• What a F'ing joke. A cycle computer that isn't properly designed to be used outside.

Yeah, for sure hailstorms are typical biking weather and should be covered by warranty. Its like complaining that it broke while using it during aqua spinning only because it is a kind of indoor bicycle you used it on. If it was a phone, you would have protected it because of common sense, so why not the Edge?
    The offer they made is better than you deserve after that impolite reaction to it.