This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do you navigate a previously saved activity (while recording a new activity)?

I am sure this is very obvious but I cannot figure out how to select a previously saved activity as a navigation course while an activity is in progress.

On My Fenix 5x+ while recording an activity, I can long-press the "Up-Menu" button, then go to Navigation then Activities and I can select any previously saved activity as a navigation course.

How do I do this on the Edge 830?

• It is a 2 stage process. First you need to save the activity as a course then you can load it as a course.

First go to the home page then menu -> History -> Rides -> select the ride you want -> then the hamburger icon in the bottom left of screen -> Save ride as course

Now go back to the home page and select navigation and select the course that you just created.

• Thank you! That's what I need to do. What's interesting is that the process of doing this as it currently works on the Fenix 5x+ is much quicker with fewer steps and more intuitive than the Edge 830. I wonder why Garmin chose to do it with extra steps on the Edge.

• The method on the Edge goes way back to the many earlier iterations over the past 10 years.   IDK why they originally chose this, but they've stuck with it on the Edge series.  It does make some sense in that it separates activities and courses.  You'll likely always have way way more activities than courses on the device.  Once you've converted an activity to a course, you then only need to find it a much smaller set of courses.  Also, you can delete uploaded activities to make room on the device's drive but still have those saved courses available.

• Yes, I guess when you think about it this way it does make some sense. I still like the way the Fenix handles this. Less waiting when you're leading a group ride around an obscure trail network and the group is getting restless Slight smile

• Excuse me... What's the method to save an activity as a course on the Edge? I can't figure it out.

For such an expensive device, it's got a crappy UI

• History -> Rides -> select the ride you want -> hamburger icon bottom right -> Save ride as course