This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Power Zones keeps changing

So I saw this thread from three years ago I can't believe it's still an issue: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-820/125555/power-training-zones-keep-changing-on-head-unit and I never hit in on my 820, but on my 830 I keep getting changed to the 9 zones instead of the 7. I keep resetting it and then it comes back. REally frustrating to be in a race and all of sudden you notice the zones are all screwy.

• I was not able to reproduce this issue. However I did verify that when changing from one to the other it was keeping the settings I had entered. I went to Menu>My Stats>Training Zones>Power Zones>Configuration>allows you to switch between the two. I would think the only way that the zones could get changed would be if you were using a third party program like training peaks or Strava where the power zones were entered and set to i9 Coggan, and when you synced it brought that data from the third party site over to connect and then the Edge 830. Can you check to see if you are linked to Strava or Training peaks? If so please check those sites to see how the power zones are setup. 

• I do have Training Peaks and Strava linked to my Garmin account to download data. I have four times changed the 830 from 9 to 7 levels, and it keeps coming back. Weirdly it only does it on mountain bike profile, my indoor profile doesn't seem to ever change

In TP I have it set with the Andy Coggan (6) power zones 

Strava doesn't have a setting I can find for power zones, it just has a number for my FTP.

Looking on Connect.garmin.com the device is still set at the moment for Zone 1-Zone 6 as displayed. I can't see it anywhere in the iOS Connect app, so if it's there I'd welcome the education on how to check it.

-R

• Power Zones you configured in Training Peaks or Strava never synced to Garmin, but when you change your Power Zones on Edge, then go sure, you connect your Edge to Garmin Express and sync as long as you see the same Zones in Garmin Connect Web and GC Mobile, mean, check on all 3 if you have the same Zones!

in connect.garmin.com you only see 6 zones in your user settings, that is normal, they can't change to 7 or 8 or 9 zones

you see more or less zones only in your recorded activity after you changed the zones on your edge and synced correctly, if you have more Garmin devices like a watch, check there if the sync is correct too

• I had this with my 830.  I think it only changed for me when the unit crashed and I had to use a long press of the power button to get it going again. I don't use Training Peaks.

• I only have the one active Garmin device, I sync it after each use of the device (my phone is usually with me too and about 75% of the time it just sync's the rest of the time I have to manually trip it but that's another issue)

I have for sure re-synced the device after switching the zones on the device, and I've still seen it come back to the wrong ones. I'm going to try and pay attention to when it comes back but most frequently it seems to happen after I also switch profiles on the device (at the moment I've been switching between Indoor which I use for my trainer and Mountain Bike, which I use outside, the differences between these two are mostly what's on the display, and indoor doesn't use the GPS)

• Set your zones in Garmin Connect (preferrably the web version rather than the phone app), and let that sync to your Edge, rather than trying to set them on the Edge directly. If you set the zones on the device, the old ones will get re-imported from GC (especially after a firmware update).

• the Zones he mean aren't available on Web or Mobile, i haven't the Edge here, but on Edge only you have the possibility to change the Zones something similar like iLevel Coggan Zones with one more Zone as normal

• As above, I've validated the zones are set to 6 in the web, can't find them anywhere in the phone app @fj33tStA the only place in the web page I can see to set them is to click on the watch icon next to my profile picture in the upper right corner, pick my Edge 830, then click User Settings and scroll down there I see it set to six zones (no other setting is available that I can find)

• and on edge you can configure this one?

you have to use 7 Zones, the 9 Coggan iLevels you can use, when your work with WKO5 of Training Peaks only i think:

https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030945431-How-to-update-ILevels-from-WKO5-on-Garmin-devices

you are right, as you wrote in web you can configure 6 Zones, but in your activity you see always 7:

because Zone 7 is everything higher then Zone 6, that means it could be go to 2000 Watt if you are able to get out of you pedals, you can call it the impossible mission zone for sprints or similar Stuck out tongue winking eye

• yes that on the device is where it keeps changing from 7 zone when I set it to 9 by itself, I've never selected that, but three times in the past two months I've noticed it's gone back by itself