This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can we prevent GPS firmware from updating during a ride?

GPS tracking was excellent on our new Edge 830s when we got them, and is excellent now.  However, we both had failures soon after receiving them.

On my first ride (1 Feb 2020), the system decided to update the GPS firmware during the ride.  This was in spite of the fact that it had spent hours connected to my phone and WiFi during the previous day or two.  Apparently the update shuts off tracking without warning and restores it some time later.  About 2 miles of the ride shows up as a straight line, though the system helpfully figured out the elevations under the line.  Apparently I was on a 48% decline at one point - and it was a road ride.

The next day, my wife's 830 did the same thing, while mine (already updated) was fine.  This was her second ride.

The main system firmware had been already updated to the latest version.  Only the GPS update was involved here.

Is there a way to prevent updates from happening during an activity?

Thanks!

• Don't have the device paired to a phone during the ride is probably the only way at the moment.

• Thanks.  I suppose you are right.  Too bad, since that means never using the connected features or having to check before every ride to see if an update is imminent.

• That is a bug. The unit should not apply any update when the timer is active.

• Is it safe to assume that Garmin is aware of this now, or is there a formal way to file a bug report?

• I would recommend contact Garmin support and let them know about the issue. I will also pass it on.

• Looks like the bug still exists. I had a similar GPS firmware update 10 minutes into my ride 2 years ago and basically stopped all GPS and barometric elevation readings. Only the speed and distance was record partially. I went home that day after the ride and updated my Garmin Edge 830 to the latest firmware along with any latest GPS firmware. I did this probably another 2 times before I decided not to connect the device directly to my computer as it was stable for another 2 years until last night. I was also like 10-15 minutes into my ride and the stupid GPS firmware kicked in. I can see my distance still rolling but by halfway through my ride, the GPS firmware has updated and keeps popping up the stupid message saying the GPS Firmware has successfully updated. This message kept popping up every few minutes - really annoying! This is definitely a bug and Garmin has not fixed this issue whatsoever. It's frustrating that their development team has no idea about end user usage of these devices. Like who the eff programs any computers to update in the middle of use besides desktop computers and handheld smart phones? Imagine if you're lost out in the middle of the woods and this stupid firmware update occurs out of nowhere? Just so frustrating. I kept looking down to see these stupid firmware updates during the ride and then seeing my elevation gain and descent only less than 100m when it's actually around 500m near the top of a mountain. You look at the history of the ride and the Garmin only recorded up to where the GPS firmware update started kicking in. There should be an option in the firmware update in the About section to manually update not this auto update during a ride.

• It exists. Just happned to me after 10km of training. Firmware 9.75 garmin edge 530. Ruined training.

• Happen' today... gps signal lost even after he says "update completed; I had to hot restart (long press on power button because it was stuck) and lost a part a fabolous alpin tour. Such a shame of bug !!

• Same here, today. 9.75. Nothing recorded since start of messages... :(