This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Distance totally wrong

Hi,

I did a short hike (I was walking, not bilking, Garmin Edge 830 was on the top of my backpack) and the distance displayed by Edge 830 was totally wrong!. I know that correct total distance is about 11 kilometers, but Edge 830 displayed 4,75 km. I compared this to my daughters Garmin watch and her distance was about 11 km (which is correct!). The distance calculated by Edge 830 is also displayed in Garmin Connect and in Strava. I believe that this data is written in FIT file and transferred elsewhere. 

And now the surprise. I exported GPX data for the hike and import the file in different GPX viewers - they all calculate the correct distance (which is 10,9 km). So I can conclude that the GPX points are stored correctly (I use 1 second interval), but Edge 830 for some reason does not  sum the distance correctly.

To summarize:

1) Garmin Edge 830 displays wrong distance on several occasions (I have described  in detail just one instance -  4.75 km instead of 10,9 km. 

2) This (wrong!) distance is transferred to Garmin Connect and Strava (very probable by FIT file)

3) All GPX points are correctly recorded by Edge 830 and the distance calculated from these points using  different apps on www is correct.

Any suggestions? Advice? 

Best regards, 

Viljem  

• I do not have my wheel sensor on the Fat Bike, but it is on my MTB.  I did read up on how to calibrate the sensor in the summer though - thanks for that thought.  I'm kind of with the posters above though - this GPS device should be able to accurately track basic distances as my phone or watch does.

I'm not sure how the battery in the wheel sensor would like the cold temperature so hadn't plan to move it over.  I just want the same distances my friends get within reason - not asking for a lot lol.

• Do you have your recording interval set to 1/sec ?  

• Yes I just changed that yesterday.  I tried it again late in the day...and it looked like it was doing better, but think the "bug" (DC Rainmaker post) where the track goes a little nuts kicked in at the end of my ride.  I'm going to try everything again today.

• Happy to report I am now matched to my watch and have the bug worked out as reported by DC Rainmaker.  Changes I made if it helps someone else is the interval set to 1 sec and I also set GPS mode to GPS + Galileo was set to GPS +Glonass prior.  

I think the interval set to 1/sec being the key change though.  

• Wow!  Thanks patsdiner and et01267.  

I found this thread because of consistent under-milage hiking with an Edge 820 as per the OP.  Walking guide said 6 miles, measuring an paper map said ~ 6.2 miles, Edge 830 and Connect said 5.0 miles!  Follow your export-import trick and now Connect says 6.19 miles.  So ALL of my walks are wrong?! 

This was with Auto Pause off and the track on the map in Connect matches the mapped paths well, has no apparent gaps and "flows" well all round on Play.  So this is not a "GPS doesn't know where it is" problem, it's a data analysis problem.  I am using GPS+Galileo. 

I have until now been using "Smart" recording interval but will change that to 1 second for my next few hikes.  Thanks et01267 for that tip.  

But I have to say this sucks, Garmin, given even your own software can read the same data correctly!  

Incidentally, I just put in detailed feedback on Garmin's self-help page, What Can Cause GPS Accuracy Issues on My Fitness Device? | Edge® 820 | Garmin Support, as input for "Why this page isn't useful" at the back, asking they address the issues described in this thread.  Maybe we should all do that - there are not many other ways to talk directly to Garmin.  

• Still an issue despite all the feedback. I posted a "Why this page isn't useful" response hoping that might get a bit more attention. The text of my explanation is below. Obviously the Edge devices are meant for cycling, so I tried to keep my complaint focused on the specific instances when the problem occurs during cycling activities. I am convinced that the Edge fit file data is purposely filtering out low speed movement to convince users to buy an additional device for multisport use, but why should anyone need to buy another device for riding rugged back country trails, or non lift assist DH or Enduro style riding where the only way back to the top of a trail is by pushing your bike?

"Low speed distance measurement is consistently underreported on Edge cycling devices. This typically happens in especially steep and/or rugged terrain when riding speeds can be as low as 2mph or you have to push or carry your bike. It's also very common in the winter on a fat bike when snow conditions are challenging. Converting the fit file to gpx gives a much more accurate distance (even after the gps drift/noise is filtered out with a 3rd party application). This occurs even with Auto Pause being turned off and the Recording Interval set to 1 sec. It's also easy to see the error by riding up, then down, the same trail, but at vastly different speeds - the distance recorded on the downhill is much longer than on the uphill - exactly the opposite of what you'd expect if drift/noise/tree cover were the issue). Generally this does not happen on a road bike nor does it happen with multisport or running/walking devices. It's unfortunate that despite Garmin being made away of this problem for more than a few years, and for which they already have an easy programming fix, that nothing has been done to resolve it."

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago

Well now I realize I'm not insane.  I used the Edge 830 for a 12 mile Canoe trip down a river.  At mile 8 I saw a bridge that matched a description of the stop point but thought "there's no way the canoe company can be THAT far off on distance"....so I kept going.  About a mile further downstream I found cell reception and realized we did indeed pass the stop point.  Canoeing back upstream was not an option so I had to get out barefoot and pull the canoe a mile upstream with people in it....many four letter words could be heard that day.  I also use the 830 for hiking because once I bought it I sold my eTrex.  

This really needs to be fixed.  If it's a low speed thing, this needs to be user - configurable.  There are stretches of trails in the Appalachians that require a lot of hike-a-bike and I'm definitely not moving over 6 mph. 

For mountain biking, a speed sensor is a *MUST*.  I had assumed I was getting 5/6 distance without a speed sensor due to the tight turns cutting small bits of distance (using straight lines for every 1 second recording).  However now I wonder if it's happening when I grind up hills at low speed as well. 

For road / gravel biking I have no issues regardless if a speed sensor is used.  Then again it's more straight lines *and* high speeds.