This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to turn off maps on Garmin 830?

I like to look at my pace, HR, etc while mountain biking but the map automatically pops every few minutes. This is helpful when I am navigating however when I am riding at my local trail that I know like the back of my hand, the last thing I want to see is what trail I am on.  I want to disable this feature but I cannot find any way to turn this off. You cannot remove the map. I turned off all the climb pro etc but it still pops up.  Anyone know how to stop this?

Top Replies

• Are you navigating a course or just pressing the start button and going for a ride? The only time the map should appear without you scrolling to it would be if climb pro were enabled or you were…

All Replies

• It might be that you are approaching a segment, and that in the segments preferences you've switched off "Show Screen" and  "pop up on approach".... 

In this case, the map will pop up every time, which is really annoying. In this case, try switching off Segments in the activity profile, there where one switches off Climb Pro too.

This is the only alternative I can think of that may be forcing a map up on your device... otherwise perhaps, the Auto Scroll feature is on in the Auto Features menu???

• You probably have your map setup to "Display when Navigation" for your profile. You can try turning it off in your profile settings.

• Are you navigating a course or just pressing the start button and going for a ride? The only time the map should appear without you scrolling to it would be if climb pro were enabled or you were navigating a course. It could also be possible that you are seeing a segment that you have starred appearing as you approach it. 

• The majority of the answer provided on this site are poor at best. 
    The original poster clearly stated his question but the answers are referring to “segments”. 
    He has asked, how do you stop the map page from displaying and both responses are talking about the segment page displaying, that wasn’t the question. 

so, how does one stop the navigating map page from blocking the views of other pages at every turn? 

• Make sure Auto Scroll is off. Set map to only appear when navigating. Don't use navigation.  If you are cycling somewhere you know really well you don't usually need to use navigation.

• Sounds like you have Forksight enabled on the profile you're using? Under Profile->Mountain Biking menu "Forksight" is disabled