This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 830, Power Icon remains on switch off

Anyone had similar to this?

Fully charged 830 and switched off, went to use a couple of days later and time has gone way off, battery almost flat and power Icon displayed on Garmin screen. After a charge the GPS struggled for an hour before finding a signal, the unit later refused to take a charge but was syncing with connect on the computer and app. This Unit was replaced.

I have noticed that on occasion the Power Icon remains displayed when the unit is switched off, on trying to switch on the device is unresponsive and requires a reset and a connection to the GPS network to sort the time out (syncing the device did not correct the time)  I presume this is causing battery drain as the power has been close to zero on a couple of occasions?

Anyone had similar problems or aware of a fix for this?

• A freeze or lockup on power off is a common occurrence for me.  I always verify the power icon goes off, or it not, do a reset.  Probably happens once every couple of weeks for me.  I have not heard that Garmin has acknowledged the problem or has plans to fix.

• Happened to me once so far. Must have locked on shutdown after I unplugged from PC and then hit shutdown. It was dead when I came back to it the next day and had to do a reset, and 20 mins charging before my exercise.

• Yup, happened a few times with mine, with firmware 5.0 and if I remember correctly, with the previous versions as well. A couple of weeks ago I switched off WiFi, BT, and the "Auto Upload" function, to ensure the GE830 does not stay awake or wakes up for whatever unfinished communication business it thinks it still has. After that, I did not see this bug again.

That is of course only a temporary workaround, not a proper solution. One of the coming days/weeks I may enable these features again one by one, to see under which precise conditions it really happens. That sounds more like the task of the ones in charge of software quality assurance at Garmin, but from plenty of other comments in this forum I conclude I shouldn't hold my breath ...

• FWIW: In the early days of the 820 it had a similar problem.  The power icon would stay on, backlight off, and the battery would drain.  It trained me to habitually check that the screen does indeed goes blank after switching off any of my Edge devices. 

• @looigi: that at some occasions when powering the 830 off the power icon stayed on (sort of greyed out) happened indeed to me too, and in these cases I had to go for a reset (pressing power button for >10s). But I am pretty sure that at least once the screen went completely black as it should, and the next morning the power icon was on (again greyed out), with an almost flat battery ...