This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incident Detection Overly Sensitive

Reports of over-sensitivity have percolated through these forums for a long time. I'm on the most current firmware and, unfortunately, any time it rains and I brake even reasonably hard with my front brake, the vibration sets off the incident detection alert. I have disc brakes on a Trek road bike -- and the rotor does not appear to be out of true. Dangerous situation because I end up relying solely on my back brake in the rain more than is ideal.

Anyone else experience this?

• My 820 has inadvertently gone off a few times over the past few years (usually due to hard braking), but the past few weeks it's gone off at least five times each ride for no apparent reason. Sucks! Wonder if the sensor's getting wonky due to age or if there was a recent update that's conflicting with the sensor hardware. I'll probably just turn it off unless y'all have any suggestions. 

• I'm returning mine. Nearly crashed to stop to cancel an emergency email getting sent ! its ridiculously over sensitive and not adjustable it seems

• Removing the emergency contact email will definitely disable it, if you like the unit's other features.

• Kind of defeats the object really. If it's a feature of the unit, I expect it to work. Far too many similar issues regarding this feature and Garmin obviously won't be fixing it or they would have by now. Settings made ultra sensitive by lawyers probably.

• I know this is a very old thread, but has anyone found a solution to this issue? My 830 is always setting off the incident detection simply when I come to a stop at a light. It's so annoying. I've crashed before and ended up in the hospital so this feature would provide my wife with some confidence that she would be notified in event of a crash, if only it functioned properly

• For what it’s worth I also just had this happen to me yesterday in Dallas with my 830. It was raining, I’m riding with disc brakes and when I stopped the alert came up. I held the screen to cancel and then it just kept popping up during my ride 6 different times! Eventually I stopped and turned the incident detection off. I think it’s a major safety issue as it’s extremely distracting during a ride for the alarm to go off for no reason. Something needs to be fixed as this issue is all over the Internet forums documented across many years. 

• I have experienced similar and often wondered why a bit of common sense doesn't prevail.

Sure if you came to a sudden stop then you may well of had an incident but I wonder if the device can detect whether you are upright or not.

Also once the countdown is triggered would it not be possible to cancel it automatically if you start cycling again by detecting speed, wheel rotation, cadence etc (as I'm sure many of us have sensors)

• My Incident Detection went off 3 times on Saturday's ride. all at stop lights.

The shutoff sequence is also stubborn, especially with gloves on in the winter. 

• I experience this too.
    This should never happen here in the UK as motorists love telling everyone that cyclists NEVER stop at lights Laughing

• I have just started having the same issue. Yesterday I braked and stopped. This went off which distracted me. Unfamiliar with the system it ended up alerting my emergency contacts (I thought I had stopped it but hadn’t) next thing I’m getting phone call after phone call so have to stop at the side of busy road. Later that day when I stopped at end of ride it went off again. A feature designed to get you help actually inadvertently putting you in danger