This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FTP test fails

Hi all,

yesterday I tried to perform FTP test with my Edge 830 for the first time.

My current determined FTP from Garmin is 208 W (should be quite a bit higher).

First I started with 20 minutes with very easy cycling, then realized that I have to push lap button to start with the core FTP test.

Then first block was 215 W for 4 minutes, followed by 235, 260, 280 and ultimately 305 for 3 minutes.

After short 3 minute cool down periode, I received message that FTP could not be calculated based on the training. Please try again.

That is quite frustrating... seems that the FTP test is not realiable.

And there is also no way to repeat it the same day as it was exhausting. Anybody who has experienced the same?

That's the link to my activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4263345922

Did I anything wrong?

Regards,

Peter

• I would just do a normal FTP test of your preferred type without using the Edge unit to control it and if you think the result of this test is more valid manually update the FTP number in your Edge unit to that value.

• thats interesting, you reached the target power during test perfectly and it failed too?

i had same probs, my FTP fails always too (anyway,i couldn't hold the target as you), but Garmin and Firstbeat don't recognize this problem Angry

your 20min avg power in the Test is 250W, that means your FTP could be 250x0,95=237W

• Yes, I was able to complete all steps of the FTP test. But there is no result at all. Just this error message: 

It's stupid. Why shouldn't I use the Garmin FTP test if it's easily there on my unit.
    Currently I don't use a platform like zwift for my indoor cycling. So I would have preferred this to work just with my Edge 830 as head unit.

• yeah, this i think happens on all Edge devices, i had this on my 1030 and now on my 830, seems the developer of this test isn't available and all others won't correct them, because then they have to do a FTP Test that fails! Thinking

• Garmin uses a third party service, Firstbeat, for their FTP calculations. 

https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-feature/functional-threshold-power-ftp/

Relevant quote:

To calculate your FTP, the Firstbeat analytics engine requires a stable VO2max estimate and enough quality heartbeat data recorded across a range of different intensities from low to high. Because external workload is a factor in the calculation, you will also need to ensure your bike’s power meter is connected to your device. Data can be gathered during a guided test specifically designed to record the data needed to detect your FTP, or it can be calculated from normal running activities that include enough quality heartbeat data from each zone.

If you are seeing a failure message, it sounds likely that your power was not steady enough for their algorithm. In my experience it is quite strict.

• The FTP test is run in ERG mode. So my power is quite stable.
    When I have a closer look at the chart it seems that there were some really short drop outs. I was always cycling so it seems that these are signal drop outs. But these were so short that I could not notice these on the screen of my Edge 830.

But all in all it looks quite stable to me. This should not make the FTP test fail. Disappointed

• Measuring your FTP using ERG mode won't give you an accurate value! To measure your FTP, only use resistance. So that when you pedal faster, it gets more difficult. 

• Isn't ERG mode quite normal when it comes to FTP tests which are designed as a ramp test?
    I haven't done many FTP test but when I remember correctly I always did ramp tests with ERG mode.
    Btw. is there any choice if it's done in ERG mode or not on the Edge 830?
    After connection of sensors I just started it and by default restistance was set / kept.

• Yes you would do a ramp test in erg mode.

• Thanks for confirmation. I raised a ticket at Garmin regarding this failed FTP test.
    Next FTP test I will probably do with Zwift or whatever. But it's stupid that it does not work reliably. It's really frustrating to go all out and then not having a result. Disappointed