This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Version 5.00 installed - Wrong distance

Hi,

I rided a cyclocross race last sunday and the distance wasn t true ... 

Version 5.00 fresh installed + Speed sensor + GPS and Glonass Actived + Record 1s + 1 Lap position record ( to count circuit )

Garmin connect activity : https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4205645003

11.95km  ( 20 laps recorded !!! in true Only 8 laps )

Strava with recalculeted distance : https://www.strava.com/activities/2821824398

14.30 km ( true value of the segment created on strava - 8 laps of 1.69km = 13.52km + Start outside  )

• Looks like the course passes very close to itself at the lap point and the Edge marked when you passed close to it as another lap.  As far as total distance, did you calibrate the speed sensor previously by riding a fairly straight course during the auto calibration or doing a rollout and inputting the wheel circumference manually?  If not and it did the auto-calibration during the race, the tortuous nature of the course could lead to  a poor calibration.

• Yes it s very close, i think next time, i ll place the mark in the another part of the lap. ( position where there are far to a another line )

Also, i put on the wheel the speed sensor without calibration, i believe it s automatic :)

The error come with the speed sensor you know ?

Best regards

• The auto calibration can easily give you the wrong wheel size.  It is best to use a straight and level road with good satellite view to perform the auto calibration and get a good number.  If you want to guarantee that number won't vary (the unit will periodically update the number) then switch to manual wheel size and input the auto generated number.

Another good way to get the wheel size is to physically measure it with you on the bike to take into account tyre deflection due to your weight.

• Ok or i can remove the speed sensor and use only GPS Slight smile

• The wheel sensor can provide more accurate distance and speed, particularly over tortuous courses (those with many closely spaced and/or sharp turns).  This is due to fluctuations in GPS position data and data granularity.  That's why wheel sensors exist and riders use them.  They do have to be properly calibrated though, either automatically or manually.

• I have the same issue last weekend (Strava 23Km, Garmins 13Km), was an usual ride I used to go.  How to solve it?