This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Multiple Edge 830 listed

I don’t know if this is normal for the Garmin devices so bear with me. I, like most of you, have been dealing with the syncing and blue tooth issues lately. I’m on an iPhone 11 with iOS 13.1.3.  This specific issue has been occurring prior to the iPhone 11 upgrade.  Both device and software version. 

ive tried multiple times but I continue to have two (2) Edge 830 listings in my blue tooth devices list. One (1) will connect and the second usually needs manual connection. If I delete one the device won’t sync properly. Any insight to this?  Is this normal?  

• yes it's normal, two versions of bluetooth used for different things

• I think that is the normal connection being the other Bluetooth is the BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) transmit data periodically while the other Bluetooth (classic) continuously transmit data. and they are both needed for the Edge to communicate well with other Bluetooth device..

• Garmin:  Do your users a favor and explain that this strange behavior is normal/intended.  No one seems to know why there are two Bluetooth connections, and I am sure you can understand why this causes confusion when a significant number of Edge users (myself included) struggle with connecting reliably to a smartphone. 

Wouldn't it make sense to at least document this in the user's manual?

• Maybe just naming the connections differently would solve the problem.  One seems to be for the main connection and the other seems to be for heavy traffic like downloads etc.

To the OP, neither normally requires manual connect.  

• More often than not I have to manually connect one. When it’s not connected I have synching issues. The 830 will show the phone is connected but the weather and Strava route won’t load. It gets frustrating. 

• I am interested in an official explanation, too. Mine works fine with one BT connection. 

• You need both connections for full functionality. 

One connection is BLE. This connect is active all the time when the Edge is in communication with GCM and delivers messages , weather information and is used by Livetrack.

The other connection is BT and this connection is only activated when larger amounts of information need to be moved such as files, courses, segments and activities. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to aweatherall

But why is BLE being dropped from a name? On 820/520, possibly even 1030, it showed as BLE.

As you can see (not that I'm saying that you have anything to do with it), this is very confusing to end users.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Scott

Can confirm. Same here.

• Not sure why Garmin did that, but in conversations I've had with them they said they are looking to add a BLE and BT suffix to the names in a future release to help clear this up.