This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Has Bluetooth pairing with (Samsung) phones been sorted or am I just lucky for now?

Don’t know why, but my 830 and Samsung Galaxy S8 have suddenly got themselves working perfectly together.  I’ve had the Edge for four months and like many others posting here, the Edge could be paired with the phone and it would connect to the phone (or not) quickly, at least for a day or two whether or not Garmin Connect was open and on screen.  Then it would not connect unless GC was on screen and sometimes it would all stop and I’d have to forget the phone and re-pair. 

Even before the firmware update to 5.00 and when on the last general release 4.10, and even with no phone firmware update that I’ve seen, a forget phone and re-pair over a week ago seems to have nailed it. So long as the phone is powered on, even if asleep, even after a boot from power off, with Garmin Connect inactive, the Edge jumps onto the phone every time as soon as it’s booted.  Even weirder, under the phone’s Bluetooth setting there is only one Edge 830 device shown, not two as occurred previously and have been said to be required.  Not so.  One Edge 830 device Bluetooth connection is working just fine, even when Wi-Fi disabled. 

I’m posting this to confirm what has not been clear to me before, that the Edge can connect to the phone without having to have the Garmin Connect app open.  If people are still having phone Bluetooth connection problems, yet another forget phone and re-pair just might do it.  I have no idea whether Garmin (or Samsung) has quietly sent thru some code recently but after a week I’m hoping this particular annoyance is over for me.

• Works great on my samsung s7 edge with one BT connection on my phone.

• Mine started working properly all on it's own a few months ago (Galaxy S8) after having had all the usual problems (having to have the app open, then on top, then not working no matter what, forgetting BT connections & reinstalling app, etc...)  Now when it boots up it's connected.  My phone still shows two BT connections.

• It’s strange, I’m kinda the opposite, although I have a 530, BT was working on my phone well until a few months ago, it would connect to my S9 without having to do anything, now, I have to have GCM open every single time before it will connect which is really frustrating.

• I'm still using a Samsung S7 and had the exact same issues you have had and like you, it's all gone away now. No need to open GCM on my phone. 

So how did this happen? I haven't updated to 5.0 yet. 

• I’m using an iPhone XR with the latest IOS and the current Garmin firmware.  I have two Edge 830 BT connections.  One is connected when the edge is powered up.  The other is apparently connected when it needs to transfer files.  For example if I connect to RideWithGPS to download a course the second BT connection connects. 

• I'm on an s8+ with firmware 5.00 I'm 50/50 on automatic phone connections. What I have noticed (or at least been keeping track of) With the Edge on my desk I can get connection 100% of the time in tests. When I put the Edge on my bike and turn it on it seems to pick up all the sensors first and forget about the phone. I'm wondering if the BT connection gets put on the back burner and forgotten about when there's other sensors trying to pair.

• I uninstalled GCM unpaired everything and started over. When I went to ride from work it connected automatically. YAY!! This morning it wouldn't connect. Had to open GCM, so I am still 50/50 on the connections.

• I think my connection rate got worse after I uninstalled and reinstalled GCM trying to fix some live track issues. Wish I’d never done it.

• Unfortunately, nothing changed. Even after having the unit replaced, it would still not connect automatically or disconnect without reconnecting. I'm on newest FW and think of another replacement, but whether it makes sense?