This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Screen freezing

I am running 4.23 firmware, and am generally now quite happy with the performance of my 830 regards to accuracy etc.

I am just running the unit in its own, with no peripherals attached, not even a mobile phone.

However on most rides I am constantly experiencing sporadic freezing.

The device is still working, I.e the speed with still be active, but the screen is unresponsive. 

After about 20 seconds or so it will start working again, but then repeat. 

You only realise it is doing this when you try to swap data screens or zoom in on the map and it will not respond. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

• 4.23 seems worse on the freezing. I would argue that the current behavior is the most dangerous. 
    On my last ride the sensors dropped and I could see on the screen the heart rate was offline. The speed was updating but nothing else would update. 

Worst, the Varia radar was not reporting it was disconnected. In previous firmware versions if the sensors would drop the first thing to happen would be a warning of radar disconnect.

Garmin is approaching recall/liability issues. They can argue that the radar is only mildly informational, but once it is part of your mental check process it is part of your decision making, like it or not. 

• This is why I'm drawing attention to this issue.

Every firmware update seems to address some niche issue with indoor trainers and other training data issues.

I just want my unit to work!

• Having the same issue

• Have you upgraded to the latest 5.50 version?  

• Similar issue with my 830.  200km ride with my 830 on extended display mode from my Forerunner 735 (because I'm sick of my 830 glitching )  froze 4 times during ride and had to reset which is far from ideal when you are focused on keeping up the pace. 

• My 830 device also randomly freezes while riding. I have to stop my ride and reset the device. The data is saved, but clearly, this should not be happening. My Varia RTL515 is also being “disconnected” while riding. And this is scary!!!     We pay too much money for these products. These problems should not be happening,

• I have freez of the map. it does not turn anymore with direction change and it does not follow the cursor anymore. the cursor/ postion is still updated and the cursor moves out of screen in the end when continueing.

but is still remains responsive to operation/touching screen

Is this similar to what you also see when talking about freezing?

• Does this occur only when navigating a course, or does it also occur when you are riding without navigation? 

• when navigating course: nav/courses/load from file/ ride

turnguidance=off

recalculation=off