This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS delay when starting off

Im traveling back and forth between eastern Canada and western US.  In both locations when I first get there I dont get a speed reading on my Edge 830.  Its blank and it takes about 10-15 minutes before it shows.  Further the ride doesnt begin until the location where it starts.  This happens every time in both locations.  There is no delay if I do a second ride in the same location.  But the first ride always seems to incur a delay.  What can be done about this problem?  

• I had a chat with Garmin on this and they will address this in future release where your connected phone will provide the Edge with your position so that it will speed up the GPS search when you change locations.

• If you travel a long distance I advice - in addition to having the latest firmware - to put the unit outside at rest, switched on, for, say, 10 minutes to have it catch op with all GPS satellites. Taking these signals before you start moving is much easier for the unit.

• When you move a long distance between uses of a GPS unit the satellite data stored will be not suitable for new location so it will have to work out where it is from scratch again.  With a good view of the sky this can take a few minutes.  It is best to do this while not moving as it will be quicker when stopped.

When you move a long way make sure the unit has a GPS lock before starting.

The second ride is OK as the unit has cached the satellite info for your location and can use it again for a faster lock.

• Why cant you just save the details for all the different locations?  I dont have the time to do this all the time.  Its taking way too long.

• Come on! Put your GPS outside before you put your shoes on....

• Because the satellites move and the detailed satellite orbit data required for accurate location calculation is only valid for a few hours before it needs to be updated.  All the required information is broadcast by the satellites but it is not a very fast transmission.  When a GPS device is on it is is continuously updating the required ephemeris information for the area you are in.  That data is only valid for an area a few hundred miles across.

It is just the way GPS works.

• Ive got Galileo turned on.  Shouldnt that work better and faster than GPS?

• All the GNSS systems (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, Beido, etc) work in the same way.  Using multiple GNSS systems at once can just improve the location accuracy once lock has been achieved.

• It would be great if they could sync the time as well, would fix the indoor cycling time drift issues.

• Syncing your device via USB with Garmin Express will also ensure that the GNSS ephemeris data is updated so that you get a faster lock. If you start moving before you have a lock then it will take even longer; better to let it sit still and stabilize for a few minutes.