Continued GPS issues after a unit exchange- giving up

I was initially pretty satisfied with this device, deciding to overlook the reported problems with live track and sensors connectivity and just enjoy cycling.

I subsequently came across major problems to do with losing GPS reception, evidenced by the now dreaded "lost satellites" error message. I did loads of testing and going back and forth with support until it was agreed that my unit is defective and needs replacing. 

The new Edge 830 suffers from the exact same problem- "satellites lost" when there is a tree or anything like a bigger building overhead. I sent out a few emails to the beta team and Garmin Support requesting a refund.

I haven't used the device in more than a month and have now lost all hope that this will be fixed. The continued silence on Garmin's part hasn't helped either.

Rant over..