This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 830 Public Beta 4.21 Now Available

A new Beta software for the Edge 830 has been released. Full change log, instructions, and software for installing the beta can be found here.

• For any issues that you encounter please fill out the form included in the download and attach it to an email to [email protected]. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.
  • Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Changes made from version 4.19 to 4.21:

• Fixed an issue with pairing to iPhone 11.
  • Fixed a shutdown related to using Connect IQ data fields.
  • Fixed a shutdown on the inReach widget.
  • Fixed an issue where ClimbPro could report inaccurate information.

Changes made from version 4.10 to 4.19:

• Added support for Connect IQ 3.1.
  • Added support to control Garmin inReach remotely.
  • Made improvements to the indoor cycling user experience. 
    - Improved smart trainer discovery and initial setup experience when using an Indoor activity profile. 
    - Improved the Follow Course experience by enabling UI (map, ClimbPro, Elevation, etc) and data recording from the simulated course. 
    - Made improvements to smart trainer sensor calibration.
  • Made improvements to Workout user experience. 
    - Added FTP line to workout comparison displays. 
    - Allowed graphical workout data fields to be configured on regular data screens. 
    - Improved the display for open steps on the workout comparison graph.
  • Made improvements to the ClimbPro user experience. 
    - Made ClimbPro available for navigation to a location and for round-trip courses. 
    - Added a setting in the ClimbPro data screen setup to specify which climbs should be detected (All, Medium/Large, Large Only). 
    - Removed the ClimbPro page from the timer loop if there are no climbs left in the ride.
  • Made improvements to the Segment user experience. 
    - Fixed an issue where segments with slashes in the name would not be processed and would create subfolders on the file system. 
    - Fixed an issue where the segment leader could get reset during a sync. 
    - Added setting in the Segments menu to set a Default Leader Priority, which allows the user to set a default leader to apply to all segments.
  • Added pressure filter in order to improve elevation recording.
  • Improved Firstbeat heat acclimation by utilizing weather forecasts.
  • Added ability to render Hebrew text for incoming smart notifications. This requires additional font files. Follow instructions on separate forum post.
  • Fixed issues with the map zoom level not being set correctly.
  • Fixed an issue where Battery Save Mode could stop working mid-ride.
  • Added jump prompts for each jump in cases where there are multiple jumps in a row.
  • Fixed issues with the heart rate graph data field.
  • Fixed an issue that caused Auto Detect Max HR to always be enabled.
  • Improved the y-scaling on the elevation profile.
  • Added directional arrows for round trip courses.
  • Fixed cosmetic issues with Extended Display mode.
  • Added additional info to the nutrition/hydration settings page.
  • Turned backlight on when the user laps or there is an autolap during an activity.
  • Automatically sized the text in the elevation data field.
  • Improved overall device stability by fixing crashes and freezes.
  • Thanks Garmin-Matthew

A summary of what is needed in software updates with prioirty form high to low (my view):

1. Stable BT connection - this is really driving me mad as I can`t fiddle with the unit on the training or play with the phone. After initial setup it often doesn`t work and additional pairing is needed. Without phone there is no certain features.

2. GPS strenght and accuracy - In my unit accuracy is quite ok, but I sometimes loose the signal. This is happening more often then I would like to. My FR945 is keeping the signal perfectly even in dense foliage or obstacles. With the same chipset this shouldn`t be a problem in Edge

3. Grade and elevation - another strange one. My unit was perfect in this regard with initial firmware. With FW 3.5 everything changed. Right now grade is not responsive and highly inaccurate like  I`m going upwards and see -2%...

4. Workouts - Two things here - 2 targets & customization. We need a possibility to add second target like PWR +Cadence and we need possibility to customize workout screen. There are some workout fields and custom additional screen can be created but its far from good. Please look at Wahoo in this respect. Their layout and solution is simple but fully functional.

5. Livetrack - It sometimes looses connection or is not starting/stopping on the unit. I understand that this is related to phone data connection but often I`m in area of perfect connection and still there are some gaps. Maybe you could use some buffering where data is sent after the signal is obtained. Currently is like 50/50 for me.

6. Nearby Strava Segments- there is no data retrieval at the moment, so this functionality is not working at all. Please try to enable this useful feature which was one of the prime features in your top units. Would be also nice to have covered overlapping segments. Is this such a problem to add Segments page 2,3 if there is second/third starred segment on the unit. Three segments would solve 99% of cases. I`m not speaking of Strava routes app which is not working for me and is not a solution.

Those are the main gripes from me. I`m still satisfied with the unit and in my view this is your best unit to date. It`s a pity however that good hardware is hindered by medicore software.

• Agree, especially the workout page, now is totally unusefully, especially on the road.

• i've installed yesterday the 4.19 and did the first ride today. 

I had a big surprise in the phone(android 9) connection status - after 15km it showed me "phone disconnected" - usual stuff, no surprise here for me. And I was thinking nothing has been changed. 

But, after 10-20s, I saw a message "phone connected". This is the very first time the Edge830 re-connects to the phone while riding. Until now, to make the connection again I had to get my phone out of the pocket, start GC app and go to devices. 

If this was a one time only behavior or not, have no idea. What is clear is that it did not disconnect again during the next 25km i was still riding.

• Interesting.  I rarely pay attention if my phone is connected. Normally it displays as disconnected when I confirm all my sensors at the start of the ride, but every text message and phone call comes across regardless.  I also don’t have GC running.

• Smart Trainer detection is a bit wrong, if you don't pair your Smart Trainer with Edge you get always a Popup "Smart Trainer found", if you pair it, it's impossible to deactive the Smart Trainer.

the control of my Smart Trainer will done by Zwift, on Edge i don't need this option to control the Smart Trainer, if you remove it, the Popup comes back, it's a little bit annoying.

• Bluetooth connectivity is definitely a priority for me, without it livetrack and incident detection are useless. These are things I really desire as I often go out mountain biking on my own for the whole day and on those occasions it could literally be the difference between a life or death situation. Also not automatically logging at the end of a ride is a right pain in posterior.  

• Still getting route calculation errors as explained by others here: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-830/164773/garmin-830-calculates-a-way-to-long-route

This bug was reportedly fixed a few iterations ago but I'm still having the issue.