This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using WiFi even if it is disabled

My Edge 830 knows parameters of my WiFi network. However, under Edge's WiFi menu I have WiFi set to OFF and Auto Upload set to ON. 

I sometimes notice that my Edge 830 apparently somehow uploads ride data when my phone is very far from the bicycle (way outside of BT range). I suspect that it uses WiFi instead of BT to upload data, even though WiFi is set to OFF. 

Is that true? Does it mean that under the above settings Edge 830 can occasionally temporarily turn on WiFi on its own accord to upload the data?

• Unlikely - Turn BT OFF on your phone and try it

• My Garmin does the same, the ride uploads with auto load on with both WiFi and Bluetooth switched off. I would like to know how this is possible as my Garmin 1000 needed WiFi or BT switched on.

• Just tried it: disabled BT on the Edge. Yet, it still uploaded my ride, about 10 minutes after the ride.

So, this is how WiFi works on this device: when the device has pending uploads, AutoUpload is set to ON and WiFi is set to OFF, it will still periodically activate WiFi, scan for known networks, upload the data through WiFi and then switch WiFi off again.

This is probably in the manual. And this makes sense. If you want to disable WiFi entirely, set both AutoUpload and WiFi to OFF

This is noticeable since BT is still completely useless and broken on this device. Despite Garmin's promises, the recent update brought no improvement in BT whatsoever. I have no idea what's wrong with Garmin's R&D, since today in 2019 everyone and their mother have their BT functionality polished to flawless perfection. Why Garmin is struggling with this so much is beyond me.

• I have the same experience, even when I've set the 830 and phone as described in the OP's response to Tim_B_. BUT: how does the Edge 830 know which account it's uploading to? I can't find anything about my account in the setup for the 830. And as far as I know, the 830 itself doesn't have login credentials to my Garmin account. Spooky.

• Your Edge is connected with your Garmin account via Garmin Connect\Garmin Express. So it has your account information. 

• That is because you have Auto Upload activated. Wahoo does the same. I actually prefer it this way instead a manual upload.

• Yes, I figured that must be the case -- it connects via the Edge's serial number to the unique account that has registered that serial number. I guess. Of course if I ever sell or give away the Edge, whoever has it will have to register it to a new account. Otherwise I'll be getting the ride information from that person into my account!

Thanks for the response.