This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Track visibility if using option "show permanently" - line/track far too thin

So we are not talking about the track while navigating. We are talking about preview and show permanently.

The visibilty is far worse than on my 1000. The line/track is far too thin. Usually I use bright green, but even with that it is nearly impossible to see the track properly on a ma with detailed information. I tried gold/yellow as well, not really better. Most other colors to dark and often used in map.
I didn't found any option to make it thicker.
Did I overlook something?

• No you aren't missing anything unfortunately, and you are correct it's worse than the 1000 and even the 800. However having used the 1030 I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that the 830 had more vibrant colours and a thicker line (I'm using green and night mode FWIW) than than the 1030 which was almost literally invisible to me. I'm not sure if Garmin actually listened to the complaints or it's just a coincidence that it improved marginally..

• No, you are correct. It worked perfectly on my Edge 800: thick lines and, most importantly, in the course listing you could see which courses were ‘on’. If you have many courses in one area this avoids checking a lot of them to find the one which is still ‘on’ if you want to disable permanent display of it.

For tracks that you want to have displayed semi-permanently, it is useful to make a transparent map out of them with thick line. You can do this with JaVaWa software. Obviously, it would be nicer if Garmin would fix this. Especially for riding mtb tracks, I use the permanent display and prefer not to use device navigation.

• Am I reading this right?

Are you following the line that is generated by just having the course as always visible.

What is the benefit of this?

If I'm following a course and don't want turn by turn directions, which is generally the case when Mountain biking, I just turn off tbt in the courses menu, that way I find the course line is the right thickness to easily see.

• No, no, misunderstanding. But if you are riding in an area where you have planned several routes it could be helpful to see them while riding another. They may crossing or something like that. Further even if you are going to preview this makes is nearly impossible to see the track on a detailed map.
    Naviagion is not an issue for that you have the pink colored (fix colored) line which is thicker and this color really usually not used in maps. But you can't choose this color for preview and/or showing track permanently

But my way of navigating is not far from what you guess. I ride without messages, just getting alerted when I deviate from track.

• It's not uncommon for mountain bikers to simply follow the line on the map without using the unit's navigation as it is impractical on tight networks of trails...too many turns too close together, or get turn instructions when there's only one trail and no actual turns onto other trials.  In other cases, you use a course shown on the map for reference and to return to as you explore nearby trails.

• I have same problem. Permanently tracks is far to thin :-(

• Agree and this seems to be a common problem which is kind of ingnored by garmin. The only solution i have found for this is a freeware tool which basically duplicates the track. You get 2 track with a defined distance between them which increasese the visibility, downside you have to load both tracks and make them visible.  link to the tool --> www.ketterechts.de/.../GPXTrackShift.zip

• 4 years and this is still so true...

There are litterally hundreds of threads over many forums everywhere, it's really frustrating that Garmin does not fix this.

Especially since it worked very well until Edge 800 included.

Either they ignore our many requests for this...either they don't care about customer feedback on internet.

• You have to ask, Is garmin reading this forum ???

• Garmin does read this forum. But they try to hide. You will only get answer, if it is easy and no issue for Garmin.

Take it or leave it. I didn't find any real alternative yet and I tiried a lot.
    And that is the reason why Garmin can treat customers that way...