This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sensors

Each profile should only connect with the sensor  assigned to the specific profile -Road, Indoors, Mountain etc. Now, for example, Indors connects with  power  sensor on a road bike which stay close to Tacx trainer

• Yes.  The 830 will connect to whatever sensors are paired, transmitting and in range independent of activity chosen.  If it detects two of the same type, it will connect to the most recent one (I think) and you have to go into the sensors screen and check to see which was is connected, and if it's not the one you want, select the one you want and then select connect. 

• if there is something that I miss is having different sensors for each profile, so that I don't have to be activating or deactivating depending on whether I go on a mountain or road for example. 

In other edge models this was possible to do. For example, at the edge 810 the sensors were assigned to bicycles, and depending on the bike you chose, some sensors or others were activated.

• Not only the activation of a sensor should be configurable per profile, also the sensor's characteristics. E.g. to use a bike on a trainer (profile Indoor) one may mount a wheel/tire with a different perimeter than on the road (profile Road or MTB). With the combined speed-cadence sensor, mounted on the frame, one has to change that perimeter-setting currently by hand whenever making this switch.

• I am satisfied with being able to activate sensors by profile ;)

• As speed/distance is not really relevant on an indoor trainer this is a minor issue.

• The Indoor, Road and MTB profile switches were just examples, as was the speed-cadence sensor. In any case, several users may also consider speed and/or distance relevant during indoor training, depending on the type of trainer they use. More generally though, each sensor with configurable parameters that (may) depend on external factors should be configurable per profile. Like that, if such sensor has been adequately set-up once for all defined profiles, a mere switch of profile will bring with it the proper settings for that sensor - done.

I wouldn't necessarily consider this lack of per-profile-configuration a bug - assuming the original design of the 830 software didn't foresee it. But I would call it then a shortcoming of this design, that hopefully will get fixed one day. Others (Garmin?) may call it a "feature request" - whatever. That other issues (like most bug fixes) are higher priority than this one, is clear - even to me ;-)

• I think the idea is that you have a different sensors on each bike so you don't need to swap them.  Each sensor is set up for the bike it is on (such as wheel size for a speed sensor) if required.  Then you just start using the bike you want and only the sensors on that bike wake up and are used.  This way you don't need sensors configured differently for each profile

If you have a wheel on trainer and change the tyre for a trainer suitable one is the difference in diameter enough that it really makes much difference even if you use speed/distance as a metric on the trainer?.

• Taking again the example of the combined speed-cadence sensor, that sensor is mounted on the frame of the bike. So if you change the wheelset (different tires) on such bike, the sensor is still the same but you will have to adjust its setting to the new circumference of the wheel. That is what I mean with a "sensor with configurable parameters that (may) depend on external factors".

I have for my MTB - that I also use on a trainer - wheelsets/tires with circumferences that range from 200 to 220 cm. That is 10% from one extreme to the other. But also for mere outdoor mountainbiking, the wheels/tires one uses depend heavily on the terrain and weather conditions, and there too this difference is up to 5%. That results in a speed/distance error big enough to be called at least "annoying". Such misleading read-outs could be prevented by defining for each wheelset a different profile, if a per-profile-configuration of these sensors would exist.