This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Strange recovery time on the 830

Coming from the 130/1000 not having any powermeter or tested VOmax for me the recovery time looks fairly ok on these devices. A noticable difference after high trainings load or something more relaxed.

The user details have been overtaken from Garmin Connect.

After one of the first rides, which were really relaxed I got a recovery time > 24hs which is quite unusual for relaxed ride.

I will not call it a bug. But maybe someone has an idea what could affect the calculation to get this unexpected result.

I may just need to adapt some setting...

• Recovery time is a learnt metric it takes doing 7 or so rides on the unit before the values become more reasonable. 

• I have already the same problem and sent to forum at least two mails. With Edge 520 was never any problem with calculation recovery time , with Edge 830 all time (I have already unit more then two months) recovery time is strange.  Can happen that after 10 km ride according to unit recovery time is 40 hours .  Yesterday after ride 50 km recovery time is  3 days it means that function in Edge 830 is useless.

• Distance is not the only metric used to calculate the recovery time. The link below gives you some additional information about 'Recovery Time'. I think what might be confusing, is the Edge is giving you a estimated time to recover before another 'Hard Workout'. What were the times you get with the Edge 520 on the same distances and intensities? Can you provide examples?

Edge 830 - Recovery Time

• A sample from my side:

Rides about 40km, 500 hm(uphill), average HF around 130.
    The estimate revovery is alway > 24h. Even with less yesterdays ride 33km, 350 Hm(uphill) it was 28hrs.
    On the 130 the estimate for such rides was about 14-18 hrs, which is much more realistic.
    As already mentioned all personal settings have been overtaken from Garmin Connect and looks to be the same as on the Edge. Finally I doublechecked maxHF, HR zones, weight, age, size

• This and other similar metrics are the purview of Firstbeat which licenses them to Garmin.   Here's the Firstbeat Edge 830 page describing these data fields.  It doesn't provide any real insight into how they are calculated.

https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-product/garmin/edge-830/

• Edge  520 recovery  time for similar distance from 18 to 30 hours maximum depend how hard was ride.

• Same here. Unreasonable recovery time given by my 830.

After each 1h training with 90~105% FTP, I always got a 48h~60h recovery time. On the second day it would suggest me a rest, but I can still do a 1.5h training with 85%~95% FTP. 

A Gran Fondo style riding, e.g, 170km with NP = 60%~70% FTP can result in a recovery time > 3 days, but my actual recovery time is about 36~40h for that.