This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Map colours washed out and wrong.

Is anyone having issues with the base colour for fields showing as Blue, rather than a light sandy colour with Talkytoaster Toaster 1:50000 look and feel maps? I spent quite some time going through settings etc with Mr Toaster last night and it appears to be an edge firmware problem. The maps show perfectly on my edge 1000. Colours overall seem quite washed out on edge 830, no matter what mapset I use. Anyone else experiencing this?

• I don't use TalkyToaster maps but I do create my own maps from OSM data.  I haven't noticed any colour issues with the colour scheme I use.  Maybe there is something with that particular colour that the unit doesn't like?

• I'll take a look with mine later tonight as I've also got an 830 and a 1000 and TT maps. I've been mostly road riding using the stock Garmin maps since I got the 830, so not really used the TT maps with it yet.

• I had that problem for MTB & dirt profiles yet no problem for road profile.

I've renamed the \Garmin\MapThemes\Mountain.kmtf file to \Garmin\MapThemes\__Mountain.kmtf and the problem is gone. You can delete it too, just make sure you have a copy saved.

• Thanks macnuts for the tip! Use omtbmaps and had the same problem with the washed out colors. Now everything is okay and even the map details (huts, houses etc. ) are now visible.

• Cheers guys. After your observations,I tried the road activity profile and sure enough, the talky toaster map displayed perfectly. I then copied the road profile and renamed MTB, but chose activity type as mountain and found the map was screwed up again in the new profile.. I deleted this new profile and chose to copy road profile again, once again I renamed to MTB, but chose road as activity type. Map displayed perfectly again. I managed to change all screens to what I wanted for MTB, except there is no option for mountain bike dynamics now. 

The other problem I have with the unit is auto pause when stopped doesn’t work correctly. It seems to pause when stopped, but unless you ride at more than about 8mph, it will stay paused. I ended up losing half the elevation gain and strava segments. My mates iPhone and edge 820 worked perfectly.

• I find Auto Pause works more reliably with  a Custom start/stop speed rather than using "When stopped".  I use 3- 5 mph.

• Latest reply from Garmin:

“So the mapping issue you are reporting, i'd just like to confirm this only happens when using the Talky toaster mapping?
    If that is the case there is, unfortunately, not much we can do from our end. I appreciate that these work on older devices and seem to work fine when not in mountain bike profile. We cannot guarantee full compatibility with all third party mapping across all our devices”.

I’m not impressed!

• What you are expecting from Garmin might not be reasonable. There are about a dozen sources for maps and Garmin can’t test all of them on every device. 

The third-party maps were never sanctioned by Garmin. They came about from people reverse engineering the original map format.

That the road profile works suggests that it’s something Talkytoaster could fix themselves. 

• It does seem odd that different activity profiles would make the map look different.  I wouldn't have thought that different profiles would have any affect on how maps look.  If a map looks fine in the road profile what has Garmin done that could make it look different in the MTB profile and why?

• For road riding, you might not want mountain bike trails to be emphasized. For mountain biking, you might.