This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 830 Public Beta 3.55 Now Available

A new Beta software for the Edge 830 has been released. Full change log, instructions, and software for installing the beta can be found here.

• If you experience problems with this build, our engineering team would like to hear about your experience so they can work toward resolving any remaining issues. Please visit the Garmin forum for the Edge 830. Please note that you may not get a response to the forum post unless we need more information on the issue you report.
  • Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.55:

• Made visual improvements to ClimbPro, including more granular coloring on the ClimbPro chart and the ability to preview future climbs.
  • Made ClimbPro a separate screen in the timer loop, so the elevation screen is still available during a climb.
  • Fixed issues with ClimbPro that caused the climb or list screens to display improperly.
  • Added new ClimbPro messages to activity FIT files.
  • Changed the Incident Detection setting to be set for each activity profile, and defaulted the setting to OFF for Mountain and E-Mountain profiles where false positives can be more likely due to terrain and riding style.
  • Fixed an issue where Incident Detection could get re-enabled if the user has emergency contacts listed in Garmin Connect.
  • Fixed an issue where prompts could appear over the Incident Detection alert, so it could not be acknowledged by the user.
  • Added the ability to disable the ForkSight page that appears when you stop during a Mountain activity.
  • Added the ability to turn off Grit, Flow, and Jump recording in FIT files for Mountain and E-Mountain activity profiles.
  • Added the ability to turn off jump alerts in Mountain and E-Mountain activity profiles. Jumps will still be recorded in the FIT file but you will not be alerted during your ride.
  • Improved the MTB Navigation interface to utilize the new Riding Area and parking lot data available in the 2019.10 Trailforks map.
  • Fixed an issue where the map zoom and orientation were not properly returning to their original values after the ForkSight page was displayed in a Mountain activity.
  • Fixed some map drawing issues with the latest 2019.10 Trailforks maps.
  • Started using 7-day GPS ephemeris data instead of 3-day data, to improve positioning when new ephemeris data is not available.
  • Added protections against injecting bad GPS ephemeris data that could come from older versions of Garmin Express.
  • Fixed issues with popularity routing.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the device to generate large activity files and freeze during navigation.
  • Fixed an issue where the battery would not charge to 100%.
  • Increased the minimum sharp bend warning speed to 15mph.
  • Fixed an issue causing erroneous FTP values.
  • Modified the FTP test to lap at the end instead of stopping the timer so the ride will continue to record when the test completes.
  • Fixed incorrect automatic gear selection for Di2 shifters.
  • Fixed an issue where Di2 battery empty was improperly reported as eBike battery empty.
  • Fixed issues with the cycling dynamics page.
  • Added the ability to choose between two different radar tones.
  • Fixed a display issue with the power zone chart.
  • Fixed some display issues with the lap summary data screen.
  • Improved the interface for editing data fields on the map screen.
  • Added extra layout options to the map page to support a larger elevation profile.
  • Made improvements to the elevation profile for segments embedded in a course.
  • Fixed an issue where Connect IQ data fields could only be added to the current activity profile.
  • Implemented better user feedback to convey the LiveTrack status.
  • Improved overall device stability.

Installation Instructions

1. Connect your Edge 830 device to your computer using the micro-USB cable.
  2. Download and unzip Edge830_355Beta.zip and place the GUPDATE.gcd file in the \Garmin folder of your device's internal storage drive.
  3. Disconnect your device from the computer, approve the update on the Edge, and wait for the update to finish.
  4. If you would like to revert to the last public release software, follow the above steps but place the GUPDATE-350.GCD file in the \Garmin folder. Rename the file to GUPDATE.GCD before disconnecting your device.
    NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all of your settings will be reset to defaults.
  • That's quite a list. Looks very promising, installing now and will give it a try tomorrow..

• This list looks like it remedies most of the issues wrong with this device, could this be the fix!

• > Fixed an issue that could cause the device to generate large activity files and freeze during navigation

Sounds very promising for me, going to try it out today.

• I'm still getting tons of dropouts with my stages power meter (Gen 3) and my garmin HRM run strap with FW 3.50. Some improvement in that area at some point would be nice

• Give us the possiility to customize the training page

• Thanks Garmin for listening. ClimbPro changes definitely for better. Good job. Waiting for other fixes and improvements

• Seems like the sensor reconnecting issue is still not completly solved. Had a ride yesterday with a longer pause - after starting again, sensors didn't reconnect (I have speed, cadence, heart rate sensor - I am not sure if varia radar/backlight and remote control were also affected). I had to end the activity and right after ending it, all sensors reconnected immediately.

• 1) 830 first didn't connect to the phone (iPhone XS, latest garmin connect app), did connect after closing the app, turning phone bluetooth on and off and re-pairing the edge to the phone (I had no issues on 3.50 or earlier firmwares with this)

2) Activity upload failed via bluetooth, and also via wifi when I brought it back to the apartment, had to sync through express

EDIT: all is back to normal after removing the edge from gcm, phone Bluetooth and pairing again. Regular garmin device behavior :)

• This firmware appears to have fixed all the issues I was having with Trail forks. Yipee

• Great update. Now we wait for Strava fixes. From me four things there:

Refresh of Strava segments nearby on widget

Strava targets inline with settings, global setup for PR

On behind/ahead graph the +/- signes are reversed (ie. If you have better time + is shown during the segment, worse time with minus)

In Strava route - dist to go, time ahead/behind are not for segment but total route

Please make those as priority.

Customization of workout and trainer pages would be icing on the cake and made the device perfect for me