This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Uploading open street map (OSM) to garmin 830

I'm trying to upload an Open Street Map (OSM) for Nowary and Denmark to my Garmin 830.  The only  instructions I can find are for putting the maps on an SD card.  But...the 820 doesn't have an SD Card.  Do I put it into a folder on the 830?  If so, which one?  There is a "custom maps" folder.  Do I drop the .img file into that folder?

Thanks

• I use instructions on the following site.  Thought it doesn't cover the 830 specifically, the instructions are the same.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

• Put the map file in the Garmin folder.

• Follow these instructions, further down it tells you how to put on a Garmin without a SD card..I didn't delete the pre installed maps like it says, just disabled them and enabled the openstreet maps.

www.dcrainmaker.com/.../download-garmin-705800810.html

• Hi, I note from other threads you have the 830 and have uploaded OSM, can you tell me if its possible to upload Ordnance Survey maps for the UK?  I realise it doesn't have an SD card slot but wondered if the OS maps could be downloaded?  Hope you can help before I purchase..... cheers

• I suppose you could buy the TOPO Pro maps from Garmin, which are OS maps, and put them on.  The Edge 830 isn't listed as compatible but earlier Edge devices are listed as compatible so it should work.  They are expensive though. You could create OSM based maps that look like OS maps.  I have a OS look template I could use when I make my own OSM based maps with mkgmap.

I feel that due to the small screens on these Edge devices there is too much detail on OS maps though.  When I create my maps I strip out a lot of detail that I don't need to navigate as it makes it easier to see what I need to when glancing at the screen and it also makes the map display quicker to show/move around on.

• I feel that due to the small screens on these Edge devices there is too much detail on OS maps though.  When I create my maps I strip out a lot of detail that I don't need to navigate as it makes it easier to see what I need to when glancing at the screen and it also makes the map display quicker to show/move around on.

I would second this.

I've tried using 1:50k OS maps on Edge devices and the experience was mostly pretty poor. For myself, I use TalkyToaster's excellent contour maps for MTB (they're OSM-based, not free, but not expensive either) and the stock Garmin ones for road, where I'm less bothered about such things. The TalkyToaster maps do a good job of implementing the look and feel of OS Landranger, but with less clutter and, being in vector form, variable detail with zoom level - i.e. when zoomed out you don't get overwhelmed with detail as you would on an OS 1:50k map - it simply suppresses the excess information. I also find that the performance rendering vector maps is better than for the raster OS maps, but I've not tested this on the 830, which may be much better than earlier devices.

In terms of achieving this, just copy the .img file from the chosen map into the /Garmin folder (leaving any other files in place), then go into your chosen activity profile and choose which maps you want to use for that specific activity. Pretty flexible.