This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can I use my Apple Watch as a heart rate monitor with my Edge 830?

I'd like to be able to use my Apple Watch as the heart rate sensor with my Edge 830.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Keith 

• HI, can you confirm that the app works? I try it but I have a problem:  my edge 830 sees and adds the sensor to the list but then fails to connect it. Did you have the same problem?

• I have it and I can’t get it to connect to my Garmin either 

• Just to straiten something out here. Garmin watches actually can broadcast HR to Wahoo easily. You can do it two ways. One, you just have sport stared on your Garmin watch in broadcasting mode and wahoo will pick it up easily (just pair). Second, go to your HR and press left middle button util you get setting screen. You can turn broadcast there. Google how to broadcast HR from Garmin. easy to set up. Have been using that for the last two years. It works. So I agree with previous guys, Apple want to be special, hence it sucks as a really sport watch. Cheers.

• sorry to unearth an old thread. I would like to bring some additional clarity to this topic.

Garmin watches that feature "Heart rate broadcast" emit an ant+ heart rate signal that can be paired to any fitness device that accepts ant+ heart rate sensors.

This includes devices (Garmin and third party) like cycling computers, watches, training software such as Zwift and the Tacx desktop app.

• While that is interesting.  Tens of thousands of us wear Apple watches which have an excellent optical HR sensor.   So now having the ability to record that HR data on the Garmin Edge unit via the Heartbeatz interface is wonderful.

• Yes, the connection should work to reach from inside your backpack! 

• As much as I have seen, Polar brand supports very well with Apple watch.
    And the Polar H7 or H10 seems to connect and give a reading of heart rates even without staying near the device.

Anyway, if users need to know about the best heart rate monitoring device compatible with Apple Watch can go through his article here once. I just searched and got this article. It has a nice recommendation for heart rate monitoring device especially for Apple watches.

• i know your comment is more then 5 month old, but i use my vivo active on my wahoo, and i am sure you can use the fenix too. you can choose to broadcast heart rate whilst exercise via ANT+/Bluetooth 

• I just received mine.  Seems to work well.  I haven’t done any lengthy rides with it yet.  One thing is that it seems to need to start an activity on the watch.  So I’m wondering about battery drain.  Any input on that?

• All I do is launch the Heartbeatz app on my Apple Watch and press the “Start” button in the app.   Have not seen any significant battery drain with the app.