This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 830 Stable?

I'm somewhat amazed that there doesn't appear to be hundreds of posts about the 830 crashing, TBT failing and the device generally being a big pile of doggy doodo as per previous new models!

Have Garmin turned a corner and released a device that's actually been through beta testing? Is the new Sony chip, and associated code changes to blame?

I'm seriously considering pressing the button and finally upgrading my 810, or is it still too soon I wonder....

Cheers,
Jamie

• The 830 is easily the best Garmin experience I've had so far; in terms of Bluetooth and WiFi connections and uploading of activities, in which both my 1000 and 820 had given me a lot of frustrations since day one. Haven't tried the navigation yet so no idea if it is any better than the older models. But one thing I can confirm is the 830's battery life is significantly better.

• I haven't seen the number of stability issues I've seen on previous Garmins. It's been mostly stable, fast and works really well. So far navigation is the same as the 1030, in that it isn't particularly good at choosing tarmac roads and tends to send you off on rough trails instead, regardless of what settings you have. Feels to me like the routing engine needs a rewrite and maybe thats something that will get done given the increased competition. I've had no issues following pre-created routes which is what I usually do anyway so not a showstopper. I use it over my 1030, despite the smaller screen. I really like it, especially Climb Pro.

I have seen the odd issue detecting lights, but I'm running the latest beta so can't really complain about issues there.

Best Garmin I've had by far.

• I can't comment on older models, but my 830 definitely has its quirks. Crashed twice in approx. 20 rides, doesn't do TBT for roundabouts, some annoyances around notifications, route calculation, GPS reception (under trees) and Bluetooth connection.... Stuff like that.

If this doesn't bother you - probably a worthy upgrade. Battery life is great indeed (even better than Wahoo Bolt). 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Short answer - Yes.  I recommend the 830 over any other Edge. 

I don't use Bluetooth sensors, so I haven't ran into the widespread issues that others are seeing as I connect everything by ANT+.  I've also set GPS to Glonass until Galileo is fixed.(I think the most recent beta corrected that issue).  

-That being said, for me personally, it has been the best Edge device I've owned.  Granted, I've only been on 5 rides because the midwest has rained nearly every day for the past 4 months.  

However, where the 1030 completely and utterly was a FLOP in terms of phone connectivity, the 830 has shined through so far.  

-Phone connects instantly *IF* the connect app is running. I've not had to re-pair even once yet (1030 had to be re-paired every few days which involved a 20 minute fight before each ride).  

-I've not had any issues with ANT+ sensors. 

-Rides have auto uploaded every time so far (1030 was maybe 1/4 times). 

--

Realistically, no cyclometer currently offers real-time course editing mid-ride so I find them all mostly useless for commuting.  (Things come up during rides).  But if you do use navigation, the 830/530 are *SO* much faster for route calculation.  The 1030 is also much faster than your older devices. 

• That's all broadly positive, Galileo teething troubles and sensor dropouts aside. It does beg the question, have Garmin been listening and carried out a fair amount of testing before launch, or did the switch in chipset force the improvements?

• I have had a nightmare with my garmin 830. Won't connect, changed screen set up during ride won't sync and latest I have  100mb fit file to try and process!! ;(

• I've had my Edge 830 for 5 months now. 3-4 rides a week, about 60 to 90 minutes each ride. I use ANT speed/cadence and HR sensors. Never froze up or lost a ride. There was an occasional problem with LiveTrack -  it would pop up an annoying "LiveTrack auto start failed" error message every few minutes for the entire ride, but it appears to have been fixed in the most recent patch.

• Also, ride upload over WiFi has been really fast and flawless. It joins my WiFi as soon as I reach home and the upload completes even before I finish parking my bike in the garage.

• I wonder as much as Jamie. After using 800 for so long without experiencing any real problem, I decided to upgrade with a 830 in order to be able to use my new RTL510 radar light. My first impression of the 830 was falling in love at first kiss. No more having to physically connect a bike computer to a desktop computer to upload my ride, connecting with my iPhone while on a ride so my wife can track me and more. After a couple months of flawless uses of the 830, it froze up in the middle of a ride and after it was hard restart, I found out the tracking was still working even the screen was frozen. From this point, I found it “forgot” my sensors, not connecting to my phone, not uploading my ride automatically, not sending Livetracking data to my wife and more. I have twice going through resetting it to factory setting and had a heck of time getting it paired with my phone. Right now it’s working fine but I am missing my 800 as if I left my perfect long-time wife for a sexier but troubling trophy wife that I am stuck with now because I like my radar light so much.