This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Freezing/lockup after waking from sleep?

Has anyone had issues with their 830 frequently being frozen after waking from a sleep? This happens to me at least 2x per week and this morning to top it all off it recorded a ride as having occurred ~30h previously and is an absolute mess of data except for GPS coordinates somehow. It was a 2h routine ride...

• This has happened to me once since I got my Edge 830.  I was demonstrating a number of the new features on the 830 to some fellow cyclists after a ride, put the 830 into sleep mode as we got started with dinner after, and had to manually reset the unit by holding all 3 buttons down before it would come back on.

• yes 4 times since I got it a week ago.

• Is there an err_log.txt file in the Garmin\Debugging folder, if so can you post it?

• After someone told me that the auto-calibrate prompt only comes up after a full power-down I've since disabled auto-sleep.  But now I'm wondering if there's an auto-power-off option since I can't find it.  It looks like Garmin replaced auto-power-off with auto-sleep.  Not sure why they chose sleep over power-off.  Can someone confirm that there's no auto-power-off?

• Correct. There is a sleep, but not power off option.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Constantly I’d it’s asleep for long periods. Worst if I put to sleep with on 

/off button sometimes when I choose sleep from touchscreen and least likely when I pause ride and let unit go to sleep. I’ve contacted Carmen but they are no help they don’t see a problem and they’re not willing to fix it. This issue drops battery life once I get it to restart which takes many minutes   I’ll show a decrease of 40-60%!!!!!! 

• I get this too - seems like it might only happen if I'm navigating a course though? Do you have any data fields installed? I only had one but have removed it now to see if that helps.

• I've had this twice now, does not wake from sleep mode.

Both times, it was fully charged, then unplugged, and no start

Holding 3 buttons only way to turn on

• This had happened to me 3 times since I bought,  a month ago.  Software is up to date. After the last activity,  I powered off. The device had no power. Totally drained to zero.  I had to charge it back for any buttons to work. Previous time,  it had frozen, I had to reset. Garmin sucks.

• Also,  after the freeze,  the unit was stuck at the time,  it last froze. As I biked indoor,  the unit would not update its time,  inspite of syncing with wifi and also with phone.