This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Galileo issues on Edge 830

Former Member
Former Member

After reading the DCR threads, I'm not even considering the 530 with it's bad back buttons.  So I'm considering 830.  Someone posted that if they enable Galileo on the 830 their GPS logging goes all over the place and never self corrects(every few rides).  They posted a ride where the return line was several km off.  I was hoping to ise Galileo to accurately map new trails.  The 830 uses a new Sony GPS chip from what I've read.  Does anyone know if Garmin is looking into this?  If it's a non-fixable hardware issue I'm going with Wahoo since I've sold my 1030.  

• I have reported this to Garmin and have provided them with data. So they are aware of this and are looking into it. It does not happen on every use.

GPS - no issues

GPS+GLONASS - no issues

GPS+Galileo - not every ride, but on some rides it will have an offset to the correct position for parts of the ride. This maybe a function of where you are and the Galileo coverage. I'm in northern California.

• I experienced this same thing. The GPS track was showing me about 0.3 miles off of the road I was on, until I switched to GPS only, at which point the position was spot on the road. Before disabling Galileo, I was repeatedly getting the message "Lost Satellites", even though the position was still being reported.

• +1 for this issue. Thanks for posting!! Upgraded to a “temporary” cheap second hand 820 after my 510 died 2 months back, reading rumours of the 830 release. I used GAL on that without issue. 

Ive only used my new 830 twice. Both times on regular routes. The first time it was fine. This mornings route saw 1/3 of the ride “offset”. The track was 200m south and 60m east of the correct location- but with he correct geometry!

report d to Garmin and told to factory reset and reload same FW. I won’t bother with this now, as I don’t want to set up all the profiles again. I’ll turn it back to GPS/GLN for now and see how it goes. 

PS: I’m in Melbourne Aus. - and note the “lost satellite” message came up near the start of my ride. I think your onto something here with location and satellite availability. I’ll have a play with some satellite planning SW and the timing of my offset issues to see if these is a correlation. It may be that without enough GAL satellites in the solution the offset occurs. 

• I have exactly the same experience, in Central Europe.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to aweatherall

Hardly an issue of where you are, I am in SE Europe, same thing today. First ride ever, it took me a while to understand what is going on. No issues whatsoever on 130 and 820, who would have expected it...

Oh, well.

• I've had this issue. 

GPS = drops out under any sort of tree cover

GPS + Galileo = still drops out then has you way off track. See examples from my 130 mile ride last week

GPS + Glonass = seems ok so far. 

• I'm having exactly the same issue as everyone else here so far. Dropouts with Galileo and then a significant deviation from the actual course.

Still have some issues with GLONASS even in an open area, but it's not everytime.

• This problem will be resolved in a future software update that is planned for early July. The fix is also available in the new Public Beta (3.33). Details and the full change log can be found here.

• Note the 830 (and a number of other recent Garmin devices) use the newer Sony GPS chipset over that used in the 510 or 820. I think there are impending firmware updates for GAL for the new chipset.