This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 820 navigation nightmare

Hello.
I want to tell you a story about the Garmin Edge 820. The other day I did a 100+ kilometer lap.
I made a route in GPX format and loaded it on the device.
We've reached the starting point.
I loaded the route to be ready for navigation and started.
At the first roundabout I made a mistake and went elsewhere, but 100 meters further on, the direction could be corrected, and I followed the route.
The device has displayed the message that it is recalculating.
I want to tell you that even after about 30 minutes or 15 kilometers, he had not finished recalculating. My luck was that I had left the city, and it was a straight line on a national road.
Later on the route I did not take after the Garmin Edge 820 navigation and I needed to return, where at another roundabout I made the wrong exit and the device started to recalculate and actually crashed. I asked a few people on the street and I reached my destination a few blocks away.
So when it comes to navigation with the Garmin Edge 820 it's a nightmare, you can't trust it, it's going to be extraordinarily difficult. A mess.
In my opinion.

• Under route settings, there's an option to turn off recalculation.  If I deviate from a course, it will send me back to the point at which I left the course, but If I rejoin the course further on, it will pick it up and continue navigation. 

• Hi. TY for the info, but I do not consider this an ideal solution. The solution was to work as it should (and for what we paid good money).

• I would like to add also that the course calculation itself take lots of time (minutes) not only the recalculation.

All in snail pace.

I expected before I catch up the glitch that you load a course and start to ride. No no.... You load a course and wait and wait and wait.... good minutes, then ride. I add the thing that on a ride if you flip the screens from to navigation it even takes minutes to show your position on the road. You may think the Edge 820 is freezed. Just flip from Varia light screen for example to navigation.....and ride...and ride...and ride... etc... then the Edge will show your current position on map.

The navigation seems such a disaster to me....

• Do not expect a bike computer to work like a car navigation computer. It won't and you don't want it. I find TCX better for my routes and the time it takes to calculate will depend on the number of points and the complexity of roads in your area. I never have a problem but even for a 100mile plus rides I ensure I have less than 1000 points. I always turn recalculation off. This is because a) I don't want it to calculate the shortest route to my destination (especially if I am riding a circular route...) b) I may or may not want to retrace my steps or take an alternative route to rejoin the original route. I find the easiest way to do this is to look at the map screen and work out which I want to do.

I'm not sure what your expectations were but I find it works pretty well. I've used the navigation in UK, France and Spain in various locations and it works fine for me. 

• Have you tried other routes? It should not take more than a minute or two to calculate a route. There may be something in your planed route that is confusing the Garmin.

• Hi.

@ I expect to do what Garmin advertise. Nothing more.

@ I use Komoot and routes are automatically synced in GC.

• Try another route site like Ridewithgps to see if problem persists.

• Hi, I did tests some time ago, but could not get it working like when I purchased it. I now use a workaround, see my old thread: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-820/262690/firmware-12-70---still-navigation-issues

Wonder, if there ever will be a another new firmware for the 820?

• A new firmware for 820 is a must.

These bugs must be solved.

Else, Garmin brick his own device, which is disappointing for the users.

• I find TCX better for my routes

Why?

FIT and TCX should be the same. GPX should be the same too except you won’t get course points.

Course points are not used in the “turn guidance” calculation.

All of these files gave the same info: a list of track points. The Edges convert them all to FIT anyway.