This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 820 navigation nightmare

Hello.
I want to tell you a story about the Garmin Edge 820. The other day I did a 100+ kilometer lap.
I made a route in GPX format and loaded it on the device.
We've reached the starting point.
I loaded the route to be ready for navigation and started.
At the first roundabout I made a mistake and went elsewhere, but 100 meters further on, the direction could be corrected, and I followed the route.
The device has displayed the message that it is recalculating.
I want to tell you that even after about 30 minutes or 15 kilometers, he had not finished recalculating. My luck was that I had left the city, and it was a straight line on a national road.
Later on the route I did not take after the Garmin Edge 820 navigation and I needed to return, where at another roundabout I made the wrong exit and the device started to recalculate and actually crashed. I asked a few people on the street and I reached my destination a few blocks away.
So when it comes to navigation with the Garmin Edge 820 it's a nightmare, you can't trust it, it's going to be extraordinarily difficult. A mess.
In my opinion.

• Try another route site like Ridewithgps to see if problem persists.

All the route planners produce the same sorts of files. There aren’t really any differences between them. (People should really stop implying there might be magical differences when there isn’t anything that suggests that.)

• I agree that the route planner produce the same results but I find Ridewithgps to be easier to plot the routes and I'm less likely to make a mistake. Simply has a better UI.

• Yup.  I've been using RWGPS for many years and find the UI for laying out routes to be very good.  One thing that can differ between various mapping sites is the underlying map data that is used to generate the course, and how they translate that into the various export formats, things like the number of track points generated over the course and how other data is included.  In years past, I found there could be substantial differences in how the courses generated on different sites would load and work on Edge devices.  If the track point coords generated by the site didn't align well with the map data in the Edge (Garmin proprietary maps), or if there were too many track points, the Edge would choke. More recently, map data has gotten way better, and maybe the Edge units have gotten better at interpreting course files.  In any case, if a particular course file is causing issues, laying it out on another mapping site and trying that is something to try.  Back in the day, it was pretty common that I needed to do that.

• Differences in maps can matter. 

The Garmins now all use Openstreetmap (OSM) maps. 

And all of the planners let you use OSM maps. 

So, using OSM maps to plan the course removes the “map difference” problem. 

• One thing that can differ between various mapping sites is the underlying map data that is used to generate the course, and how they translate that into the various export formats, things like the number of track points generated over the course and how other data is included.

The map matters. The rest of this doesn’t. There doesn’t seem much difference in the number of track points generated. As long as the track accurately describes the curves and turns (and follows roads/paths), the track has enough points. All of the planners include enough points. Some devices have a limit on the number of track points they can handle but I’ve never seen a planner that produces more points than the Edges can handle. 

Some planners (RWGPS is one of them) can produce “route” files. These files have very few points. These files don’t work properly at all on the Edges. The Edges require track files (with lots of points).

There isn’t “other data” either.

Some files can have course points but those are not used to calculate turn guidance.