This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 810 keeps shutting down after booting up

My edge suddenly developed the habit of constantly shutting down. I had gone through all the forums but no one seemed to offer a solution. I broke my rubber power on off button trying to do hard resets, and so on. I now have to turn it on and off using a pen.

OK - so I thought I had broken the power button so I had nothing to lose. I connected my Garmin to my computer and displayed all the folders in MS Explorer. I then deleted EVERYTHING (folders included). NOTE: you will lose all your activities but mine are all loaded to Strava anyway.

I disconnected the garmin and powered it back on (using the tip of a pen!). ... Guess what... My Garmin was back to normal and WORKING. I have to reconfigure my screens to how I want them but the Garmin reconnected to my phone and my radar with ease and it didn't power off. I was even able to update the Garmin via the Garmin app on my iphone and do the latest software update.

Goodluck!

Mail Star Espresso

• That worked for me, thanks.  This happens to me about every three or four months.  I asked Garmin to either rebuild mine or give me a new one (and I'll return the old one) and they wanted to charge me $300.  I don't think it's a big deal to stand by their products especially if I just purchased it a little over two years ago.  Supply a fix, maybe....

• I had the same issue on my 810, Garmin told me they could do nothing except sell me something new. I ordered a new internal battery on amazon and it's back as new.

• Hmmm... I wonder why they did not suggest that???  Maybe I'll do the same thing.  It's not that big of a deal to delete everything, I too have all rides uploaded to Strava and Garmin so it's not as if I lose anything.  Thanks for the tip.

• That's "garmin normal" customer service - that's why so many cyclists are buying other brands when they upgrade or renew

• Which system or device do you recommend?

• hello. 

ive got a edge 1000 and it keeps switching off as soon as I start it up. was this a similar fault to yours ?

thanks 

• No, mine would just freeze and not turn off or change stats, just freeze. It just did the same thing again, yesterday. For me to get it to work again, I have to hook my Garmin up to my laptop, delete everything in all of the folders including the folders, eject it from my laptop and make sure it’s turned off, and then turn it back on.

• Thanks for the reply!

no one seems to be having the same problem as me as soon as I take mine off charge the power symbol comes up and it goes off 

hope you manage to sort yours!

• My Edge 810 was shutting off shortly after fully powering up until I turned off bluetooth. So now I can no longer sync to Garmin Connect. I’ll reinstall the app to see it that helps. The day before this started the unit did receive an update. There appears no way to undo the update.

• Interesting. Just installed updates on mine not long ago and started having this issue. Just figured it had been a while and battery was shot. Just finished replacing the battery today and no fix. I’ll try the BT off.