Map of Europe is too big to install

Former Member
Former Member

As the title already says. The entire map of Europe is too large to install. Unfortunately, I can only select a part of Europe (e.g. Central Europe) and not additionally e.g. Western Europe. This is very unsatisfactory for people like me who live near the borders of Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg.
I could well do without the inaccurate Climbpro.
So back to the alternative maps again.
Garmin, it's disappointing!

• Yes, I know it's possible with customer maps, but I really think Garmin should fix this.

I doubt Garmin will add more memory to my Edge 540. Sweat smile The problem may disappear when everyone buys a device with more memory, but I don't think that's the way to go here.

Thanks for the tip about images. I was confused by the input form.

• No, Garmin can't add more memory to existing devices but successor devices often have more memory.

That you don't think it's the way to do it has no influence on what happens.

It's very unlikely that Garmin is going to change this stuff.

If that's the case, providing alternatives/workarounds is the only option.

You could try making your suggestion here (but expecting nothing from it):

www.garmin.com/.../

Thanks for the tip about images. I was confused but the input form.

(Another thing I'll have to regret doing.)

• My comment about Garmin adding more memory was a joke. Sorry it wasn't clear.

I don't know what knowledge you have about how Garmin prioritizes, so I'll just assume we both know nothing about it. I do expect them to be at least a little bit interested in feedback from customers, though.

I contacted Garmin a couple of weeks ago about the map regions, etc. They asked for screenshots, and I sent the ones above, with some explanation. And a link to this thread.

• I don't know what knowledge you have about how Garmin prioritizes, so I'll just assume we both know nothing about it.

I know something based on repeated experience.

I've contacted them a few times about actual bugs and nothing came from it.

I contacted Garmin a couple of weeks ago about the map regions, etc. They asked for screenshots, and I sent the ones above, with some explanation. And a link to this thread

You probably should have mentioned that. This doesn't necessarily mean much.

There's an issue with one of the Europe maps not displaying in BaseCamp. I communicated back-and-forth with them about it but nothing came from it. They split the map that had the problem and one of the parts had the didn't-display problem and I mentioned it again (nothing came from that either).

• I agree, it seems rather outdated that you need to use a PC for maps management to determine which maps you are going to install/delete or get updated. An ideal scenario would be using the phone app to make those decisions and let the edge sync to wifi/phone to do the update. 

• Same problem for me. It looks like I had at least West and Central Europe previously on my 540 (it picked me up in UK, France, Italy, Slovenia) but when I plugged it in to Garmin Express it offered me an update. It said that the entire map of Europe was too big to install. Fair enough, maybe all the space was being taken by the previous map. So I uninstalled that (big mistake) and tried to download the new entire map of Europe. But that's too big to install. So now I have to settle for just the West portion and will have to remember to re-install maps as I travel to places that it previously had coverage for. That's mad. And bad. What's going on?

• I have an Edge 530 with cycling maps for Europe - works great. I live in Poland, biking a lot, often visiting my neighbouring countries - Czech Republic and Germany.

I bought a 540 for my wife and I can't believe what I see. As other guys mentioned - there is no space on unit for entire Europe cycling map and I have to select ONE region. To be hones - if I could select TWO regions I would be just fine as I would take EU EAST + CENTRAL. There should be enough space for that, it's just the Express limitation that prevents me from doing that. I really believe there should be other granulation for selecting regions (per country would be perfect for EVERYONE on this community), although if that's not possible at leas allow people to download 2 out of 3 EU regions... 

P.S: There are popular routes directly from the border of Poland to Czech republic. With Garmin 540 you can't do this route as it's impossible to have both countries set up. Seriously Garmin guys...

• Same here, bro. Literally done exactly the same thing and now I cannot use maps I would like to... 

• What a joke is this? Finally i buy my first ever cycling computer (540) and i can't install at least 2 maps (not enough memory) Rofl