What is the purpose of Sleep Mode, if after 1 day in sleep the device battery is dead?

What is the purpose of Sleep Mode, if after 1 day in sleep the device battery is dead?

Does anyone acutally have sleep mode extend the battery a long time? Opposed to it just being on?

Here is what I find happening:

1. If I leave Sleep enabled, I frequently don't realize the device is in sleep, come back to it the next day and the battery is dead becasue it was in Sleep.

2. If I disable Sleep, then as long as I look at the screen, I can tell it is still on and turn it off...but if I forget to look at the screen or turn it off, it takes even less time to drain the battery completely.

It seems like the only way to easily consistantly avoid these issues is to just plug it in to USB charging every night.

However, I really wish I could just set set an AUTO POWER OFF time after no activity (movement)...and I would set it to 30 minutes....then never have to worry about this problem again.

Is there any other way to deal with this?

As a note, I do have the device connected to WiFi...and I think that is part of the issue with battery drain in sleep mode.

• Why not just fully turn it off when done using it?  I've never understood why sleep mode even exists, I've never used it.  I ride, I upload, I turn it off.  When fully turned off the battery is very stable.

• something is wrong with your unit then (weak battery or short-circuit somewhere inside), a normal Edge unit could remain in sleep mode for weeks. did you try to do a master reset on the unit ? or at least a soft-reset: press and hold the power button for 20-30secs (until auto restart). if these 2 steps wont help, write to the Garmin support directly (and they will replace your unit if still there is warranty, if not, you can ask a replace and for a discounted price you can get a new Edge, even x40 model )

• Sleep for weeks?  That doesn't seem right.  Fully powered off then yes that sounds right.  I think I've also experienced "thought it was off but it was in sleep" situation and found a dead Edge when I wanted to use it on the next ride.  But it could also just be that I totally forgot to power off or sleep because it doesn't have an auto off like my old 510.  I really want that feature as well!

I also pretty much never use sleep.  The only situation I recall is when I wanted the unit to download something for an upcoming ride occurring where there is no phone service so I turned it on while loading up the vehicle and once download complete I put it in sleep for the travel to trailhead.  

• a fully charged 830 is good for 2-3 weeks for sure in sleep mode. (my GF use it with autosleep, but if i will have time, i will test it that how much is the battery drain per day with sleepmode). i use the autosleep also with my 840. during the winter i use it only indoor training, weekly 12-15hs zwifting, and i charged it in every 2-3weeks apprx (besides the apprx 40h training with powermeter and hr)

• i did a quick test with the 830, in sleep mode, during the night (12hs ) it dropped 1% (51->50%), lets say in worst case 3% per 24h, that is 30days...

• So below is what auto sleep | sleep mode actually do, You may potentially have a wifi connection issue which is draining your battery.

Like Cranky K I just switch off when I'm not using it.

Edge_530_OM_EN-US.pdf (garmin.com)

• I did my own test and you are right, sleep did way better than I expected.  I never use it so my only experience is the dead unit when I was sure it was charged before and I thought I turned it off so it must have been asleep. I did a 24 hour test, wifi disabled, and it lost 0%.  Test is ongoing.