This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Rescan for sensors

TL;DR: how do you tell the 530 to rescan for sensors (beyond the initial 5 minutes or so search period)?

Had an issue with my 530 yesterday whereby it dropped all the sensors post cafe stop (slept the device, woke it up, accidentally saved the ride rather than unpausing it, immediately started a new ride yet now with no sensors connected). I had to go into each of my sensors and select "Connect" and each one immediately connected. But not the easiest to do with the button interface while cycling along. Whereas with a touch Edge device (1030, 1040) from the status screen next to where it shows the sensor icons, there's a refresh button that can be pressed to initiate a "look for everything" scan. Surely it must be possible to do the same on a 530?

Thanks.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I don't think it's possible with the current system software. It would be a helpful feature for Garmin to add.

• I thought you could do it from the control widget. Is there not a sync icon next to the sensors.

• Touchscreen devices = yes

Non-touchscreen devices = it's not obvious, at least not to me

• Let me try and get my hands on a 530 I thought you could press the top right button to enter that widget page and then use the down button on the left to get to the row and then press the top right again to select that row.

• Just trying now with a 530 in-hand: selecting the sensor row from the widget page and pressing the top right button takes you to the sensor screen - the list of all the sensors paired to the device (same as Settings > Sensors) - for the avoidance of doubt I'm referring to the little "refresh" icon that's to the right of the same sensor row on touchscreen devices and that scans for all known devices again (ie. per power-on).

I ask the question as the software seems pretty much identical (say between 530 and 1030) with adaptions for UI differences (buttons vs touch) - seems this one has been missed. An obvious solution following the 530 interface pattern would be a long press of the row as you described would initiate the scan. Or even an entry at the end of the Sensors list for "Rescan all". Either would work :)

• I have confirmed that the Edge 530 does automatically scan for sensors. There is just not a graphical sync icon as on the 830 and 1030. Prior to starting a ride be sure and wake up your sensor and allow them to connect before hitting the start button. 

• Hi, thanks  for looking at this. Just to clear up some confusion:

Yes, I realise the device automatically scans for all sensors in knows about on power-on. I assume the 530 is like all other Edge units whereby it continues this searching for sensors for a pre-determined number of minutes, before stopping - by which time all sensors would usually have been automatically connected. From this point onwards any additional or if there's an issue with a sensor it needs to be manually connected to. All good when things work, most of the time.

What I'm referring to is the option to press this "refresh" sync icon, which kicks off this scan for everything process again (again for a pre-determined number of minutes), very handy when some goes wrong with sensor connections vs. having to re-connect them all manually. It's this that seems to be there on touchscreen devices, but missing on the likes of the 530.

Thanks.

• I notice that when I ride the bike with the speed sensor and take a break, the 530 picks up the sensor again when I start riding.  The sensor went to sleep during the break because it wasn't moving, then started broadcasting again when I resumed and the 530 picked it up without any user input.  I'm not sure if this supports the Garmin response in this thread, but it doesn't support the "scan for a time then stop" description.

• Once the device starts communicating with a sensor it will continue to try and communicate with that sensor until the devices next power cycle, regardless as to whether or not it takes a break in transmitting. What it won't do is pick up any more sensors beyond the initial time limited scan (unless manually triggered).

Example:

You cycle to the shop using your speed and cadence sensors, you are also wearing your HR strap but realised when you put it on the battery was flat. On the way your cadence sensor also runs out of battery.

At the shop you pause your activity (but don't sleep / power down) and you buy two new batteries for your HR strap and cadence sensor.

Cycling home the speed sensor will automatically reconnect (despite this sensor more than likely going to sleep while you were in the shop) and the cadence sensor will automatically spring into life with its new battery and reconnect (as the device was originally receiving transmissions before the battery died). But your HR strap won't be detected because it wasn't picked up during the original scan, unless you manually go to your sensors list and manually connect it. Otherwise, it'll work just fine next time you power on the device as it'll once again scan for all possible sensors.

• I see, thank you.  I thought to myself when I first read that my experience didn't support this but I did a test last night.  I started 530 up while wearing on of my HR monitors but not having that HR monitor switched on.  I left computer on for about half hour before I decided to turn HR monitor on.  530 didn't automatically connect, I had to go into sensors menu and select connect and then it linked up no problem.