This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Course point displayed 1.5 km too late

I have set two course points on the course I cycled today.

Both are displayed correctly in Garmin Connect in the browser and they are also displayed correctly in the map course overview on the Edge.

However, when I reached the locations where the Edge said that the distance to the points is zero, I was already approx. 1.5 km behind the points.

Apart from this error, the navigation was perfect, so it does not seem to be some kind of GPS-glitch.

Has anybody else experienced something like this recently? Any ideas how this can be fixed?

• Garmin ConnectCourse overviewdistance wrong

I could reproduce it with a newly planed course. You see on the screenshot from Garmin connect that the point is between the km-markers 19 and 20, the position is displayed correctly on the map overview, but the distance in the list is off by about 1.5km. The other course point I used is correct however.

• Second experiment

Funny: I reversed the same course in Garmin connect. This (and no other action) made it somehow longer by 800m already in Garmin Connect. The total time stays the same anyhow.

The position of the now first course point should now be at 21.5km according to Garmin Connect, the position of the second one at around 34.6 km.

The course was created with Komoot, I duplicated the course in Garmin Connect and added the course points there.

At Garmin: I allow you to take a look at my Garmin account to fix the problem (in case you are interested in fixing this bug). The relevant courses are the ones with "Gleidingen" in their names.

• Be very careful with Garmin Connect, I occasionally use it the same way that you mention how you use it but mainly to get the elevation data and it is very easy to add extra distance. How it happens, I am not sure but it has something to do with clicking on the route, dragging the map or some combination of something else. 

Whenever I upload a map into Garmin Connect, I always make a note of the distance and everytime I do something, I recheck the distance has not increased. This extra distance can easily be spotted as you see a spur etc come off the course, but, if your positioning a course point, you can easily add extra distance on the course that overlaps the existing course and it is then easy to place the course point on that extra distance and it will cause the issue you have. But, as I can see no directional arrows, this might not be the case, but, that extra distance may not warrant a directional arrow in such a short bit of extra distance.

So basically if this happens, you will ride past your course point and then a bit further on, turn around and you will arrive at the course point.

• I checked the lenghts, they are correct and identical to the ones which Komoot states for the routes (except for the effect that the route gets longer when I reverse it), so unfortunately this is no explanation for the bug. Also, during the ride, there was no turning back while navigating, the distance zero to the Course Point was simply shown at the wrong location.

As the Course Points are only stored as Lon/Lat-coordinates in the gpx file and garmin connect does not calculate any distances to these points itself, the error has to happen on the Edge 530.