This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Calibration zwift:hub indoor trainer doesnt work

Hi,

When trying to calibrate, edge asks me to reach required speed. Ive checked during a sprint recording and im spinning to 37-44km/h so i should be reaching the requested speed yet still nothing happens. Als is it normal that during the calibration you get no indication of what speed youre doing vs the speed youre asked to get to? When calibrating via zwift, i easily get to the required 35, and im spinning up to a whole lot faster when attempting with my edge.

• I think it is better if you use the zwift companion app to calibrate the Zwift Hub.

You can update the hub's firmware from the companion app, too.

The calibration is saved on the zwift Hub.

You can use the hub with a calibration from zwift when using it with Garmin or vice versa.

• Tx  that would indeed be the logical thing to do, but the companion app doest have a calibration feature, just checked again, only the actual zwiff app,has this feature, not sure i can use that without a subscription allthough zwiff said no subscription is needed to use the trainer

• As I do not have a zwift Hub I can only make assumptions.

You can try to connect the Zwift Hub via Bluetooth  to your Garmin. See if that helps with the calibration spindown.

You can ask your questions in the zwift forum, too.

Looks like a zwift problem, not a Garmin problem.

• You don't need a subscription, after you have signed up go to the pairing screen, you can calibrate from there, use the companion app to update the firmware first

• Zwift support confirmed that you dont need subscription to login and use the calibration function. Kudos for their quick reply to my ticket!

• I have the same issue but none of the answers address how to successfully calibrate the Zwift Hub using the Edge (I have the 830). Anyone figured this out? Thanks in advance.

• i dont remember the details, but my conclusion at the time was that you can't calibrate the zwift-hub with a garmin edge device.  it was something in the lines of: the smart hub, the speed/cadence sensor and the hub power sensor present itself via bluetooth, you can't connect those to your edge over ANT. The edge calibration function however needs an ANT device for the calibration to work.  So even when your edge connects with the smart trainer (over BLE), the calibration would not pick up on when i achieved the speed required during the sprint.   If that is correct this would mean that either garmin would need to support calibraton to work over BLE, or zwift hub so support ANT smart trainer control.

So, if i need to calilbrate the hub, i use zwift - their support pointed out that i don't need a paying account to be able to log in and use the calibration function, so that works.

In reality, i basically never calibrate because I use the smart training in combination with assioma power pedals + powermatching, meaning calibration is not required. I ride my workkouts with the free breakaway app (there are 2 breakaways apps, one is free, one is paying) and I manage my workouts (calendar and workout builider) with the intervals.icu app (free / voluntary subscription).  I use my garmin to record the sessions, but you can also have the breakaway app record the session and upload that to your garmin, strava,....   In that case you don't have the garmin metrics like training load, an/aerobic, etc.... which is why i don't upload the breakaway recording, but run a garmin recording in paralell, for those metrics

this combo works so well for me that i didn't bother to get deeper into the edge/calibrate issue.  

• Very thorough explanation. I am doing exactly the same using power matching using my Zwift Hub with RS200 pedals. I use Fulgaz and Trainerroad for my apps and use the Zwift app to only to calibrate. Zwift Hub uses ANT+ so I thought it would calibrate. It’s a minor inconvenience.