This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Map update 2022.10

Garmin says that current version of Europe cycle map is 2022.10

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=LR6HR5Xul6A9zoxySC5KM9

but I don't have any update on my Garmin Exxpress (still running 2021.20, that is actually very old).

Am I doing something wrong?

• EU maps have not yet been released. NA is at 2022.10

• Well, I was thinking about changing it with the new Explore 2, mainly for the bigger screen (I use it almost only for navigation), but if this is the frequency of updates I will surely look for something else.

• You don't have to use Garmin maps on Garmin mapping units.  You can use 3rd party maps which are updated much more frequently.

https://extract.bbbike.org/ - Choose a latin1 Garmin map.

You can even make your own maps which you can update as often as you wish.  No other cycling GPS unit allows third party maps.

Garmin cycle map update frequency isn't really a good factor to base buying options on because of the third party map availability.

• So, actually you are telling me that, after buying a gps mapping and navigation device from the first producer in the wolrld of this kind of stuff, the frequency of map updates released by Garmin is so inadequate that I should better rely on an unknowm third party supplier. Thank you for the info, but this is not what I expected.

• To be honest roads don't change very often so in reality the update frequency for Garmin's maps is usually fine.  I was just pointing out that there are other solutions if you need faster updates or just want more map customisation. I make my own maps because I want the customisation but rarely actually need to update the map data itself.

The Garmin road GPS units only have two map update a year as well.

• As mentioned, the North American maps are currently on 2022.10 but the EU maps latest version is 2021.20.

When a new version of the EU maps is available, Garmin Express will notify you of this and you can install them at that time.

• from the first producer in the wolrld of this kind of stuff,

An understanding of the origin of this stuff might help you, Open Street Map (OSM) is the source of the Garmin maps, OSM is a community of thousands of contributors who go out with their GPS devices and plot new roads, update changes to existing  and add various bits of data (a lot really) about the roads, paths, tracks, land usage etc etc etc.. including the connections between roads, surface info and  other. This is complied into the OSM with daily updates. Garmin extracts the data a couple of times a year and adds "popularity" info from the millions of kms ridden by Garmin / Garmin Connect users but doe not actually change any base OSM map data and Garmin then makes these "enhanced" maps available (for a price either paid for maps or as part of the price of devices),

There are other individuals (like bbbike.org mentioned above) who provide extract facilities, different formats, map areas etc and these are more up to date than the Garmin ones. More lately Garmin is providing world wide maps for the new devices (1040, Explore 2 , others as released?

• Europe map still on 2021.20, more than an year old. I'm more than disappointed.

• My main issue is not the map origin, i'am using 3º party TOPO maps for long time, but the typ file that i must apply to the map to be readable in the 530 screen!!! 

• Big shame to the Garmin. The EU map 2021.20 is very very old. I have a lot of problems with navigation because we have a lot of new roads in Poland, but they are not on the map. :(((