This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Altitude reporting is not accurate anymore

I have had my Garmin 530 for six months and now the altitude reporting is not correct.  Now it consistently under reports the total altitude climbed on a ride (hundreds of feet off on a 40 mile ride) and it is also very slow to change the grade % as you go up or down a hill.  Not uncommon now for it to show negative grade when I am actually going up a hill. It is using the latest software version and I have manually calibrated the altitude at a start of a ride.  What can be done to resolve this issue?

Top Replies

• There are several different factors that could contribute to the barometric altimeter accuracy, I'd recommend reviewing the article HERE 

After reviewing the article and making sure there is nothing…

All Replies

• Look for tutorials showing how to clean the barometer sensor hole. 

• This is an absolutely "normal" and typical problem that occurs periodically after heavy wetting in heavy rain, etc.
    The solution to the problem is simple - carefully, several times drying the device with a hair dryer - from the back at the two holes for the barometer.
    In order NOT to repeat this extremely annoying problem when it rains heavily, I now pack my device in a plastic bag while it rains.
    If you are interested you can read all the problems with the barometer BEFORE discovering the simple "Garmin Edge 530 hair dryer FIX" :)

lupo-thracium-org.translate.goog/garmin-edge-530-mando-grade-алтиметър-проблем-и-решение

• I'm having the same issue. So frustrating. (Nothing like being told you're on a -12% grade when you're grinding up a hill). After the ride isn't any better. Today my elevation profile on garmin connect was totally flat on ride that had 3k of climbing. I don't think it has anything to do with water (as suggested below) since my device has not been submerged and this problem has been going on for a month. 

• There are several different factors that could contribute to the barometric altimeter accuracy, I'd recommend reviewing the article HERE 

After reviewing the article and making sure there is nothing covering the barometric sensor holes on the back, if you are still seeing negative grades while going uphill, I'd recommend you reach out to your local support at support.garmin.com for further assistance.

• Same problem here, got a second unit and after a few months it also began showin wrong altimetry.  My local support says it's happening with many Garmin Edge, not just the 530.  Software updated, nothing changed.  I hope Garmin give a solution as soon as possible.

• Had the same problem, after downgrading firmware to 9.10 altitude correct again.