This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heat acclimatisation

To start off, I did read the support article regarding heat and elevation acclimatisation. 

So now my questions:
Yesterday I rode for 2h30 - temps was 29 according to my phone's weather app when I started, more according to 530 measure. It only went up (significantly!) from there to exceed 40. BT was on on my phone, so I presume it was connected to 530 as well. Yet no heat acclimatisation after the ride - in fact, it decreased as if I rode in cool conditions. So how does one declare this? It's not the first time it has happened - I just noticed it because I was looking out to see what it would say after that ride.

Then also, why is there no heat acclimatisation for riding indoors? If you're sitting with no air movement and it's 35, like it was this morning, then surely it must count for something?

• The heat acclimatisation is based on FORECAST temperatures, not the temperature of the unit.

To get a current forecast, make sure you do a sync with your phone BEFORE your ride. I check with the weather widget on my 530 to be sure the forecast has updated. Also, the forecast is based on the location of your phone, so make sure you have location services enabled on your phone.

Unfortunately, there is no real way to get data on your indoor conditions, so you don't get acclimatisation credit for that. Which is kinda disappointing for people preparing for Kona Ironman, who put their turbo trainers in their bathrooms without a fan for extra heat and extra humidity. Obviously, your body gets the physiological adaptations from hot workouts indoors, even if they aren't measured by the 530.

• Yes, the phone and bluetooth is on before rides - and I'm aware it uses that. And it uses current location. Worked perfectly most of the times, just noticed it doing nothing on that ride. 

Maybe it just for some reason did not connect properly on the day. Good tip about the weather widget to double-check, though! Will definitely do this in future... 

• Maybe it just for some reason did not connect properly on the day.

Yeah, it's definitely possible to turn the unit on and start the ride before the sync has finished, in which case it doesn't get a weather forecast. I've been bitter a couple of times when a stinkin' hot ride has given me no acclimation credit.

I now try to turn the unit on when I first get to my bike and then let it sync while I'm still checking tire pressure, putting my helmet on, etc to give it that little extra time to complete.

• Thanks man! Yeah, I've walked out with my bike at times only to see I forgot the 530, back in house to go and get it... So used to having my running watch on my arm and ready to go. Will definitely make an effort to turn it on earlier.