This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin edge 530 help.

I got a Garmin Edge 530 for christmas. Used it and it works great, but I track my HR with a coros apex watch. I was unable to upload the coros data from my bike ride to strava since the garmin data already uploaded. I tracked the ride on both devices to compare stats. Hut can only see the garmin data. Inlater did a short ride with only the coros watch and it uploaded fine. I tried manually uploading the coros data, but iy still failed saying it was a duplicate of the garmin data. Any suggestions on how to use the coros hr data with the garmin edge? Should I just use another hr monitor while biking?? Let me know what is a good one.

• Hi, is the watch paired with the Zwift app for heartrate data? If Zwift is already getting HR data, then you can set Zwift to upload your ride to Strava (and tell both Garmin and the watch not to). That is what I do, with my Edge only uploading to Garmin Connect, but not to Strava, and with Zwift uploading to Strava, including my HR data from my HR monitor (Wahoo Tickr Fit armband).

• No. I do not use zwift. I dont understand why both will not upload to strava. I have friends that use 2 devices and both upload.

• Whups, sorry about that, I think I had Zwift on the brain lol! (I was replying to some similar questions at the same time.)

It could be that Strava prevents uploading duplicate files for the same activity from some devices (which makes sense, since it would be bad for challenges, leaderboards, etc). I know duplicates are sometimes possible, but maybe your case isn't one of them.

I'm not familiar with that Coros device. Does it have a mode to let it act as a "dumb" HR sensor to connect to other devices (like the Garmin Edge) instead of recording the activity itself? Some kind of "broadcast mode"? I read somewhere today that some watches can do that. If it can't, then you would probably need to use a different HR sensor to pair with the Garmin Edge.

In either case, once you get HR into the Garmin Edge directly, then you'll only need one upload to Strava. Plus, you'll gain all the heartrate-based health/training metrics that the Garmin Edge produces (there's a lot of them), which it sounds like you're not getting now without paired HR data.

• Coros has a very good online suite of tools using HR to training, etc. I wanted to compare to Garmin to see which his better. I plan on buying a separate HR sensor to pair with the Edge when Im cycling. Thanks for the input!!
  • I'm not a Coros user, but it would appear that you can broadcast HR from the Apex to the Edge. https://support.coros.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040256991-Broadcast-heart-rate

Strava will remove duplicate activities.

• Ah ok. Well if you're able to get the watch into that HR broadcast mode to the Edge, while also still recording on the watch, then that should let you compare them. Strava may still nuke the duplicates but you could just do manual uploads/deletes as needed to see them both in Strava to compare.

Ultimately tho I think the real comparison for HR metrics/training will be between Garmin Connect and the Coros site, rather than on Strava. Uploading to Strava doesn't include all the HR-based metrics from Garmin, and I assume it's probably similar for Coros.