This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Trailforks Won't Work - Error Code 400

I live in NC, and while I live near Charlotte, I occasionally travel to Pisgah National Forest or Dupont to mountain bike.  Inevitably, whenever I try to use my Edge 530, and specifically the Trailforks mapping, it won't work.  I usually try to pick my route in advance, and I make the route a "favorite" before I leave my house, and everything is fine.  When I get to the trails, I receive an Error Code 400 message and I can't get the map (or Trailforks on the Edge 530) to work.

What is Error Code 400?  Is there something I'm doing wrong?  For what it's worth, it also seems like I have cell phone service.

• Any luck on this one? Anybody? I'm having the same issue.
    1) Brand new 830 > Downloaded all updates (maps and firmware) > Connected to Trailforks > All synchronized without a glitch.
    2) When in the city; power up the Garmin > IQ > My routes > All of them are displayed. The downloaded ones and also the ones were not downloaded.
    3) Got to the trailhead (where there's no cell) > Power up Garmin > IQ > My routes... Error -400

It is frustrating because the routes are downloaded to the device, so even without cell service it should work!!
  • It is a networking error code.  I was having trouble with Live Track working (not with Trailforks) and was advised to turn off my WiFi and then begin my ride.  It seemed to work but I don't know why.  Maybe this would apply to your problem

• I reached out to both Garmin and Trailforks about my experience.

A very rude Garmin rep told me that Error Code 400 is equivalent to "HTTP 400 - bad request".  Garmin apparently uses this cryptic (and wrong - should be HTTP 503 or simply "you're offline") error to indicate that the backend (cloud) servers are unreachable.

Trailforks was professional, but basically informed me that there's no way to pull Trailforks routes from your phone to the Edge while offline due to the way that Garmin implements its APIs - it apparently has to go through the cloud.  Huge bummer.

The best suggestion that Garmin could offer is to 1) update the Trailforks basemap open the Edge using Garmin connect and a USB cable and laptop, then load a GPX route to the Edge directly, again I think with a USB cable and laptop.  

I had forgotten that Garmin expects all of its customers to have a laptop and USB cable with them at all times, even though the edge has WiFi.  I need to remind myself not to by Garmin stuff in the future - they just don't seem to understand how most people use devices these days.

• @El_Dorado_Mike. Thanks. I tried turning off the WiFi before the ride and did not make a difference.  Still got the -400 error.

@1254462 Wow! what Garmin suggested makes no sense to me. You are right, I think the lesson learned is not to buy another Garmin.